Log In | Become a Member | Contact Us


Leading printing executives into the future

Connect on Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Featured:     European Coverage     Production Inkjet Analysis

Rebounding Economy Promises Successful Graph Expo 2002

Thursday, April 11, 2002

Press release from the issuing company

April 11, 2002 -- A reviving national economy, a favorable new tax climate, and the continuing surge of highly productive new technologies are combining to boost expectations for another successful GRAPH EXPO and CONVERTING EXPO 2002 this fall in Chicago. The Graphic Arts Show Company (GASC), the shows organizer, reports that more than 80 percent of all available exhibit space has been committed six months before the shows opening on October 6. Over 350 exhibiting companies have reserved more than 340,000 net square feet of display space to date. GASC President Regis J. Delmontagne noted that such GASC events as GRAPH EXPO and CONVERTING EXPO and PRINT have often served as catalysts to boost the printing, publishing and converting industries out of difficult economic times. Conditions now seem to predict that this falls show could serve the same function. GRAPH EXPO and CONVERTING EXPO 2002 will be held at McCormick Place South, Chicago, IL on October 6-9. The recent Congressional action on President George W. Bushs economic stimulus package included a number of provisions designed to encourage corporate investment in high productivity technology and equipment, Delmontagne said. Specifically, the new accelerated depreciation rules mean we are likely approaching the most favorable conditions for investment in many years. NPES The Association for Suppliers of Printing, Publishing and Converting TechnologiesSM, (NPES) one of the three co-owners of GASC, strongly advocated these changes and campaigned for them. Upon the bills passage, NPES joined with the National Association for Printing Leadership (NAPL) and the Printing Industries of America (PIA) in a resolution praising the Congressional action. One key provision of the stimulus package allows business owners to write off 40% of capital equipment purchases in the first year and 17% the next year for a total of 57% in the first two years for equipment purchased from September 10, 2001 through September 10, 2004, currently depreciated over 7 years. Delmontagne also noted that accelerated depreciation opportunities alone would not motivate many buyers, were it not for the extraordinary productivity of the new equipment reaching the printing, publishing and converting market in recent years. Vendors are producing the tools graphic communications companies need to stay competitive and seize new opportunities, he explained. These are the factors that really justify purchases, but now the tax code also offers an additional incentive to buy. These developments take place against the backdrop of a steadily rebounding national economy. Taken together, these trends encourage GASC to anticipate a highly successful event as Americas premier exhibition for the graphic communications industry. The 340,000 net square feet already booked for GRAPH EXPO and CONVERTING EXPO 2002 include a number of large exhibits, among them displays from Bobst Group, Brausse Group, CREO, Fuji Photo Film, Heidelberg, IBM, Komori MAN Roland, and Xerox. In addition to these and other displays, the show will offer a program of more than 60 educational seminars and special events. Additional details about these and other aspects of the upcoming show are available at www.graphexpo.com. Updated information will be posted frequently in the months leading up to the show. Web site visitors can also obtain information about other GASC-managed events, including PRINT, EXECUTIVE OUTLOOK, the GUTENBERG FESTIVAL, GRAPHIC ARTS THE CHARLOTTE SHOW and the VUE/POINT Conference. GASC is owned by the National Association for Printing Leadership (NAPL), NPES The Association for Suppliers of Printing, Publishing and Converting Technologies, and the Printing Industries of America (PIA). GASC is located at 1899 Preston White Drive, Reston, VA 20191-4367 USA, telephone: 703/264-7200, fax: 703/620-9187, e-mail: info@gasc.org.

 

 

SHARE

Email Icon Email

Print Icon Print

Become a Member

Join the thousands of printing executives who are already part of the WhatTheyThink Community.

Copyright © 2016 WhatTheyThink. All Rights Reserved