Techkon's to demo SpectroEdge In-line Spectrophotometer at Hunkeler Innovation Days
Wednesday, February 02, 2011
Press release from the issuing company
Danvers, MA - TECHKON - the innovation leader in high-precision color measurement technology for the global print community - announced today they will exhibit a live-running version of TECHKON SpectroEdge ES5000, an in-line spectrophotometer for digital and wide format inkjet presses at Hunkeler Innovationdays (February 14-17, 2011 in Lucerne, Switzerland). This demonstration of SpectroEdge will feature in-line closed loop color calibration at measurement speeds of 300m/minute (1000ft)/minute, dramatically reducing set-up time and enabling accurate and rapid press adjustments "on-the-fly."
SpectroEdge ES5000 is based on the same leading-edge color measurement technology that TECHKON is well known for globally. The ES5000 runs on an embedded version of a Linux operating system, and is capable of monitoring up to 4 high-speed control signals providing bi-directional communications with the host computer for greater production automation and efficiency. SpectroEdge is set up to read 4x6mm color samples either at preset intervals or frequencies, or via a hard-wired signal initiated by the printing press controller. SpectroEdge ES5000 software converts the raw data, instantly interpreting the color values sent to the host computer to make automatic "on-the-fly" press adjustments, both quickly and efficiently.
This stream of accurate color data from SpectroEdge works in tandem with either the host digital press or wide format inkjet printer to produce offset class output in terms of quality, productivity and cost for clients. In actual OEM installations, SpectroEdge's rate of speed in color measurement has been judged to guarantee excellent color accuracy and image quality, producing offset quality images at speeds up to 300m (1000ft)/minute in a process color environment, driving digital presses to their full potential. This key enabling technology marks a turning point in the digital print market, bringing previously unattainable levels of quality, productivity and total cost of ownership to print service providers and their customers.
"As color quality and automation in digital printing continues to evolve, presses demand more from the color measurement device to meet their maximum capabilities," states George Adam, President TECHKON USA. "SpectroEdge ES5000 delivers on that promise, as a break-through technology capable of driving a wide range of digital print solutions to new levels of color quality and automation."
TECHKON SpectroEdge ES5000 in-line spectrophotometer is designed to meet the needs of both digital presses and large format inkjet printers. Here are some of its key technological advantages:
- Fast, highly accurate 3000 samples-per-second scanning spectrophotometer with in-line color measurement and reporting of 31 spectral bands. Each color patch is measured multiple times to reduce error in the color variation within the color patch
- Onboard Linux operating system capable of automatically indentifying color patches using image recognition algorithms
- Simultaneous measurement of L*a*b*, LCH and status T&E densities
- Operates at 3mm height, accommodating ±.5mm change in distance from media
Used as a diagnostic tool to measure the color density variation across the media, in case nozzles get clogged or the printer is not printing uniformly
- Delivers 3000 spectral samples/second to judge uniformity across the entire media width
- Tough, all-metal construction to withstand vibration, even the impact of broken media
- Thermally rugged, and can be placed in close proximity to the IR dryers
The TECHKON ES5000 is commercially available. The design is easily adaptable and suitable for implementation with a wide range of printing presses. The key benefits of the TECHKON ES5000 include:
- Exacting color, delivering offset color quality from a digital press
- Precise automation of the closed loop color calibration process, eliminating both errors associated with manual checks and interrupted press runs
- "On-the-fly" setup and inking adjustments, providing shorter make-ready, less paper and ink waste. Exacting color control of the press - all without a single sheet pull
- Keeps pace with digital presses running 300m /minute (4x10mm), working reliably at variable speeds
- No media contact, operating 3mm away from the media, eliminating smudging and scratching the ink on the media
- Color quality control with every impression, monitoring color in real-time with no need to stop press
- Embedded Linux computer operating system, enabling future development and expansion
To post a comment Log In or Become a Member, doing so is simple and free