Joan B. Davidson To Receive NAPL Soderstrom Award
Wednesday, October 01, 2008
Press release from the issuing companyPARAMUS, N.J. – Sept. 30, 2008 – Joan B. Davidson, group president of The Sheridan Group, headquartered in Hunt Valley, Md., has been named the 48thWalter E. Soderstrom Award recipient. Davidson will receive the award, one of the graphic communications industry's most prestigious honors, at the annual NAPL Soderstrom Society Dinner on Monday, Oct. 27, 2008, at the Mid-America Club in Chicago. NAPL (www.napl.org), the industry's association for excellence in the printing and graphic communications industry, will also induct 13 industry leaders into the Walter E. Soderstrom Society at the event.
Named for the late Walter E. Soderstrom, one of the founders of NAPL, the Soderstrom Society is an honors organization that recognizes the contributions of industry leaders, including printing firm owners, equipment manufacturers, consultants and educators.
In announcing this year's Soderstrom honoree, NAPL president and chief executive officer Joseph P. Truncale said, "We are so pleased to present this well-deserved honor to Joan Davidson. Her industry leadership and dedication as group president of The Sheridan Group have contributed significantly to the success of both."
As group president of The Sheridan Group, Davidson is responsible for overseeing five printing companies in the United States: The Sheridan Press in Hanover, Pa.; United Litho in Ashburn, Va.: Dartmouth Printing Company in Hanover, N.H.: Dartmouth Journal Services in Waterbury, Vt.; and Sheridan Books in Chelsea, Mich. Headquartered in Hunt Valley, Md., The Sheridan Group is a progressive international organization comprising printing companies focused on the journal, magazine, book and catalog markets serving associations, publishers, university presses and catalog merchants. The Sheridan Group has 3,000 employees worldwide.
Prior to becoming group president in 2007, Davidson served as president and chief operating officer of The Sheridan Press. Under her leadership, The Sheridan Press grew from 300 to 500 employees and expanded its sheet-fed operation to include both Web and digital capabilities. The Sheridan Press received the prestigious NAPL Management Plus Hall of Fame Award in 2005.
Davidson has been involved in various industry associations and has gained a reputation as a pioneering leader for the industry. She is past chairwoman of the NAPL board and the first woman to ever serve in that role. She was also a board member of the Graphic Arts Show Company and the Print and Graphics Scholarship Foundation (PGSF). Davidson was inducted into the Nonpareil Society of the R&E in 2007. She earned a Bachelor of Arts from the College of Notre Dame and a Master of Business Administration from Loyola College.
In addition to her professional accomplishments, Davidson runs in 5K or relay marathons to raise funds for various charities, and she is a counselor for 12- and 13-year-old girls at Camp Sunrise, a pediatric cancer camp.
Soderstrom Society Inductees
In addition to the Soderstrom Award honoree, 13 inductees will be recognized at the event as new members of the Soderstrom Society. They are:
- Robert Boyer, senior vice president of sales and service, Heidelberg, Kennesaw, Ga.
- Larissa Crum, vice president of sales and marketing, NPC, Claysburg, Pa.
- Andrew Field, chief executive officer, PrintingForLess.com, Livingston, Mont.
- Tom Gardner, president, Curry Printing, Westborough, Mass.
- Chuck Gehman, vice president of product platforms, Mimeo.com, New York, N.Y.
- Vincent Lapinski, chief executive officer, manroland, Westmont, Ill.
- Nancy Leininger, senior lecturer, Clemson University, Clemson, S.C.
- Ken McNerney, president and chief executive officer, Think Patented, Dayton, Ohio
- Michael Murphy, president, Japs-Olson, St. Louis Park, Minn.
- Ralph Nappi, president, NPES/GASC/GAERF, Reston, Va.
- George Ryan, president, Printing Association of Florida, Orlando, Fla.
- Tom Saggiomo, president, Graphics Systems, AGFA, Ridgefield Park, N.J.
- Art Simpson, president, EU Services, Rockville, Md.
"Each of our 2008 inductees has made significant contributions to the graphic communications industry and possesses a distinguished record of industry service," said Truncale. "We're so pleased to welcome them into the Soderstrom Society. Everyone at NAPL extends their sincere congratulations."
Copyright © 2018 WhatTheyThink. All Rights Reserved