January 14, 2004 -- A year in preparation and for the first time utilizing indigenous fieldwork research, the 80 page report provides a unique insight into the Chinese printing industry and the potential for CtP plates and platesetters as well as CtF film and imagesetters. Among some of the findings of the report are:
· Of the 80,000 or so printers in China, only 17,000 currently have the potential for investing in ‘direct-to’ CtP technology.
· Platesetter installations totaled 220 or so last year, 20% of which were for newspapers.
· While Chinese newspapers are making investment in CtP, commercial printers are still hesitant, owing to the comparatively high price of imported CtP plates.
· Average CtP plate prices in China are $11/ M2 as compared with $4 / M2 for conventional plates. There is also a sizeable market for recycled plates selling at $1.20 / M2
· CtP plate consumption in ’03 was the equivalent of 3% of all new plates but is due to grow rapidly once domestic producers can manufacture effectively and prices drop.
· While CtP adoption is still in its infancy, CtF and imagesetters continue to enjoy consistent demand. As the rest of the world ditches CtF in favour of CtP, sales of imagesetters in China totaled over 550 machines in ’03 and demand is set to remain strong.
The Report provides background data on the Chinese printing industry, its potential as a market for industrialised world GA technology producers, as well as highlighting some of the basic differences in culture and business dealings. It also underlines VSM’s viewpoint that China is likely to replace Europe as the world’s second largest economy within a relatively short time, and that what is now seen as a net importer of western and Japanese GA capital equipment will soon witness a reversal of roles.
The Report, which is aimed at manufacturers and suppliers, costs £7,500 and is available in electronic form from:
Barry Happé - Principal, Vantage Strategic Marketing.
E-mail: [email protected]
Fax: +44 (0) 1749 850 550