In our ongoing look at establishment and employee counts of graphic arts businesses, we have been looking at packaging/paper converting establishments. Back in August, we looked at NAICS 322212 (Folding Paperboard Box Manufacturing, specifically, the number of establishments by employee size in 2016, the most recent year for which County Business Patterns has data. This week, we take a look at 32222 (Paper Bag and Coated and Treated Paper Manufacturing).
The Census Bureau defines this NAICS as:
This industry comprises establishments primarily engaged in one or more of the following: (1) cutting and coating paper and paperboard; (2) cutting and laminating paper, paperboard, and other flexible materials (except plastics film to plastics film); (3) manufacturing bags, multiwall bags, sacks of paper, metal foil, coated paper, laminates, or coated combinations of paper and foil with plastics film; (4) manufacturing laminated aluminum and other converted metal foils from purchased foils; and (5) surface coating paper or paperboard.
In 2016, there were 730 establishments in NAICS 32222. Nearly four out of 10 (39%) had 50 or more employees, and 59% had 20 or more employees.
NAICS 3222 comprises some widely disparate sub-categories:
- 32221 Paperboard Container Manufacturing
- 322211 Corrugated and Solid Fiber Box Manufacturing
- 322212 Folding Paperboard Box Manufacturing
- 322219 Other Paperboard Container Manufacturing
- 32222 Paper Bag and Coated and Treated Paper Manufacturing
- 322220 Paper Bag and Coated and Treated Paper Manufacturing
- 32223 Stationery Product Manufacturing
- 322230 Stationery Product Manufacturing
- 32229 Other Converted Paper Product Manufacturing
- 322291 Sanitary Paper Product Manufacturing
- 322299 All Other Converted Paper Product Manufacturing
These establishment counts are based on data from the Census Bureau’s County Business Patterns. These data, like other demographic data, can be used not only for business planning and forecasting, but also sales and marketing resource allocation.