Tokyo, Japan – Seiko Epson Corporation is pleased to announce that President Minoru Usui has been selected by the Japanese government to receive the prestigious Medal with Blue Ribbon this autumn.
Reason for selection
- Contributions to the advancement of the company and industry through business
- Contributions to the advancement of business as representative director and president of Epson
- Contributions to digital printing in color inkjet printer development and photography culture
- Contributions to the development of the 3LCD projector business for the education market
- Contributions to the advancement of the watch industry through the development and popularization of the world's first GPS solar watches
- Contributions to the advancement of the office equipment industry as chairman of the Japan Business Machine and Information System Industries Association (JBMIA)
Comments from Mr. Usui
"It is a tremendous honor to receive the Medal with a Blue Ribbon. It would not have been possible without the support of countless other individuals, to whom I am profoundly grateful.
"One of the main reasons cited for this honor was color inkjet printers–products that I am proud to say contributed significantly to the spread and advancement of digital photo printing. The color inkjet printers we developed provided photo-quality prints at a price that was affordable to ordinary consumers, and this created a culture in which we empowered anyone to easily and conveniently print photos at home. Along the way, I think we were able to contribute to the popularization and advancement of the digital photo printing culture, including digital camera photo printing and the development of inkjet-printed New Year's greeting postcards in Japan.
"As a company executive, I look forward to the challenge of developing new products in different areas, creating new markets, contributing to industrial and cultural development, and making Epson an indispensable company."
The Medal with a Blue Ribbon
Six types of medals, each with a different ribbon color (red, green, yellow, purple, blue, and dark blue), are conferred to individuals who have made notable achievements in one of six areas. The Medal with a Blue Ribbon is presented to individuals who have made outstanding contributions in areas such as the advancement of industry and the promotion of public welfare and education through their business activities or work with other groups or organizations.
The 2018 autumn medals of honors will be presented in a ceremony on November 14 at the Tokyo Prince Hotel, followed by an audience with His Majesty the Emperor Akihito at the Imperial Palace.