Members and staff coordinate, judge, provide prizes for 40 student competitors
Fairfax, Virginia - Specialty Graphic Imaging Association (SGIA) members and staff welcomed 40 secondary and post-secondary students to the graphic imaging–sublimation and screen printing competitions at last week’s 2017 SkillsUSA National Leadership and Skills Conference (NLSC). Students represented 35 schools from around the US.
SGIA has been involved with the SkillsUSA competition since 2012. In addition to setting up and judging the competition, SGIA members provided over $74,000 in prizes for the student winners and their schools.
“SGIA supports SkillsUSA because these students are the future of our industry,” said Johnny Shell, Vice President, Technical Services, SGIA. “We’re grateful to the members who back this effort as judges and prize donors.”
SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce. Its annual competition typically attracts more than 6,000 outstanding career and technical education students –– all state contest winners –– to 100 distinct, hands-on trade, technical and leadership competitions.
“The 2017 version of the Skills USA Graphics Imaging–Sublimation competition featured some amazing young men and women. I was so impressed with how equipped they were to design and implement saleable sublimation products,” said judge Aaron Montgomery, Co-host, 2 Regular Guys Podcast.
Results — Graphic Imaging–Sublimation
- First: Jacob Barber, Harris County High School, Hamilton, Georgia
- Second: Kalani Ferguson, Waynesville Career Center, Waynesville, Missouri
- Third: Mattie Egly, Lawrence County High School, Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
- First: Megan Moore, Riverside Community College, Riverside, California
- Second: Katelyn Logsdon, Illinois Central College, East Peoria, Illinois
Results — Screen Printing
- First: Jaxton Winder, Hurricane High School, Hurricane, Utah
- Second: Katie Meyer, Slinger High School, Slinger, Wisconsin
- Third: Kimberly Patino, North Garland High School, Garland, Texas
- First: Morgan Hofheins, Salt Lake Community College, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Second: Jessica Cupples, Illinois Central College, East Peoria, Illinois
- Third: Sierra Kelso, Catawba Valley Community College, Hickory, North Carolina
Judges — Graphic Imaging–Sublimation:
- Jimmy Lamb, Sawgrass Inc
- Aaron Montgomery, 2 Regular Guys Podcast
- Nick Buettner, Arjo Wiggins
- Chad Hughes, Universal Wood/Unisub
- Mike McGowan and Ray Weiss, SGIA
Judges — Screen Printing
- Pierre Jamnicky, Blue Moon Promotional Inc.
- Lon Winters, GraphicElephants.com
- James Ortolani, PolyOne/Wilflex
- Brett Bowden, Printed Threads
- Alan How, Saati Inc.
- Betty Bassett, volunteer
- Black Body/BBC Industries
- Great Dane Graphics
- Hix Corporation
- International Coatings
- M&R Companies
- Riley Hopkins
- Stretch Devices
- TMI Screen Printing