Award winners represent the top tier of the imaging industry
Fairfax, Virginia - Last month at the 2014 SGIA Expo (Las Vegas, October 22–24), winners of the Golden Image Competition and the Tom Frecska Student Printing Competition were honored for achieving imaging excellence and displaying exceptional expertise in their field.
“Receiving one of these awards places the winner at the very top of the world’s leading printers,” said Johnny Shell, SGIA’s Vice President of Technical Services. “Achieving such high quality indicates remarkable control and ability!”
The Golden Image Competition recognized the highest standard of imaging and covered almost every item — no matter how complex — in the specialty graphics industry, and awarded Gold, Silver, Bronze, and Honorable Mention ribbons. Among the Gold winners, the best of the best were chosen by members of the Academy of Screen and Digital Printing Technologies and given the highly sought-after "Best of Show" award. Congratulations to the 2014 “Best of Show” winners:
- People’s Choice — “Shell Storage Tanks” by Mountain Commercial Graphics
Attendees vote by scanning entries they like the most, and the entry with the most scans wins.
- Best of Show: Graphic — “2014 Jazz Fest Poster: Preservation Hall Jazz Band” by DMR Graphics LLC
Awarded to the best entry from among all gold winners in graphic categories.
- Best of Show: Garment — “Patches” by Midi Print Co
Awarded to the best entry from among all gold winners in garment categories.
- Best of Show: Digital — “Shell Storage Tanks” by Mountain Commercial Graphics
Awarded to the best entry from among all gold winners in digital category subgroups.
- Best in Show: Digital Creativity — “The Hobbit Plane - The Desolation of Smaug” by Admark Visual Imaging Ltd
Awarded to the best design/application entry from among all gold winners in digital category subgroups.
Student imagers also took the spotlight in the Tom Frescka Student Printing Competition. Entrants represented secondary and post-secondary student works from the 2013–2014 school year, and awards were bestowed on the last day of the Expo. All winners were also eligible for the “Best of Show” award in their division. Congratulations to the 2014 Student "Best of Show" winners:
- Best of Show: Secondary — “Tilt” by Eddie Becerra, Paramount High School
Awarded to the best secondary school division entry from among all category winners in the Tom Frecska Student Printing Competition.
- Best of Show: Post-Secondary — “Mola ‘Vision Tejida de la Realidad Kuna’” by Endir Nazry Roa Basto, Cenigraf - SENA
Awarded to the best post-secondary school division entry from among all category winners in the Tom Frecska Student Printing Competition.
View the full list of winners from every competition and relive your favorite moments from the 2014 SGIA Expo.