Tom Frecska Student Printing Awards honor superior imaging work by graphic arts students
Fairfax, Virginia - The Academy of Screen and Digital Printing Technologies (ASDPT) recently announced the winners of its esteemed Tom Frecska Student Printing Competition. The annual competition honors excellent student work in the specialty imaging field within a variety of categories. Entrants represent secondary (high school and vocational) and post-secondary (technical school, college or university) students.
Congratulations to this year’s Best of Show winners:
- “The Orlando Plunge” by Sarah Faust, Regina Knaus, Martin Mackensen, Moritz Porcher and Marvin Sommer
Instructor: Frank Gunkel, Kroschke Sign-International GmbH
- “Escalator to Where?” by Jordan Reemsnyder
Instructor: Patrick Rose, Clemson University
“It was an honor to be present at the show this year. We have been a part of SGIA for five years and this is the first time my students and I have been able to attend the show and see art work from schools outside of Florida,” said Thomas Natalino, an instructor from Lake Weir High School. “We are stoked to continue to be part of your program.”
A complete list of winners is available online.
Submissions were displayed to industry leaders from around the world at the 2013 SGIA Expo (Orlando, October 23–25). Each submission was eligible to earn one of three awards:
- Best of Show: Two exceptional entries (one from each division) were chosen from the Award of Excellence winners, and were honored with the Best of Show award. Best of Show winners receive a special Academy Student Achievement Award and a cash prize of $500 to use toward their graphic arts education. Instructors also receive $500 to use toward the school’s graphic arts educational program.
- Award of Excellence: First place winners within each category receive an Academy Student Achievement Award.
- Certificate of Merit: An honorable mention may be awarded from each category.
Additionally, each school will receive a plaque to showcase winning students honored with the Best of Show Award, Award of Excellence and/or Certificate of Merit.
The Student Printing Competition is named in honor of Tom Frecska, the late editor of ScreenPrinting Magazine and one of the strongest supporters of the screen print industry.
The Academy of Screen and Digital Printing Technologies (ASDPT) was established by the SGIA Board of Directors in 1973. The academy recognizes individuals who have contributed to the technical growth and/or advancement of the screen and digital printing industries. ASDPT recognizes the importance of the education of students in the screen and digital printing processes and seeks to support these future specialty imagers through the Tom Frecska Student Printing Competition.