Cohoes, NY – Mohawk, North America’s largest privately-owned manufacturer of fine papers, envelopes and specialty substrates for commercial and digital printing, announces the publication of the twelfth issue of the celebrated Mohawk Maker Quarterly. Issue twelve, which explores the topic of partnership, is the latest expression of Mohawk’s sustained commitment to providing inspiration in print for graphic designers around the world.
Since its 2013 debut, the Mohawk Maker Quarterly, has explored the landscape of creative expression through the lens of a single topic with each carefully curated issue. In issue twelve, partnership is the focal point selected by Hybrid Design as an organizing principle for the design and content. The Partnership issue explores the ebb and flow of partnerships from 18th century patrons to 21st century communes. Through the use of imagery and text, each feature article explores the dynamic tension inherent to any partnership be it accidental or intentional, adversarial or collegial.
“Humanity’s greatest achievements have happened when people – two or two thousand – worked together,” says Chris Harrold, VP and Creative Director at Mohawk. “In this issue, we celebrate the partnerships that underpin notable projects today – and that helped bring life to influential work in our past.”
Dora Drimalas, Principal of Hybrid Design adds, “Partnership takes many different forms, but when we collaborate with those who challenge, support and inspire us, we can create some of our most satisfying work. Partnership allows us to produce work that’s bigger than the sum of its parts. It’s a whole lot more fun too.”
For issue twelve, the team at Hybrid chose a 9.75 x 13.25” perfect-bound format with a die cut dust jacket and contrasting cover paper to create three unique versions, each with foil stamped mastheads. The 28 pages of this issue are designed with short sheet photo essays in support of the feature articles, creating a harmonious balance of full-bleed photography and text forms. Throughout the book, twelve different paper stocks are used allowing an exploration of process color and match colors on white, off-white, colored and textured papers. As with past issues, #12 contains a special artifact intended to support the narrative. In this case, we have enclosed a 5 x 7” card with coordinating envelope featuring one of 12 designs printed on the new Strathmore Impress Pure Cotton paper in foil, letterpress and offset.
Feature articles include:
- Patron Saint by Bryn Mooth – Established by patrons from San Francisco during WWII, Pond Farm was a creative sanctuary for artists.
- An interview with Forrest Merrill by Caleb Kozlowski – A ceramics collector reflects on relationships; artistic and personal.
- Take it to on The Court by John Dugan – Basketball Courts become the ultimate canvas for international artists.
- An interview with KAWS by Brian Flynn – A peek inside a career oscillating between street art, limited-run figurines and large scale sculptural work.
- The New Commune by Emily Gosling – The modern take on communes is a tech-driven reaction to lonely metropolis living.
- The Art of Rivalry by A.J. Baime – A celebrated rivalry between Ford and Ferrari proves to be a most fascinating manifestation of partnership.
- The Artifacts of Connection by Alyson Kuhn – Written correspondence leaves a powerful and evocative trail of artifacts in our lives.
- Speaking Places by Jessie Kuhn – UK artist Tim Etchells’ powerful installations combine typography and place.
- The Movement: The Power of 2 – Every issue we celebrate makers of all types, in this issue we have chosen creative teams of 2.
Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue twelve features the following makers:
- Yonder Journal, Cultural Anthropologists, Portland, OR
- Dion, Ceramics Studio, Oakland, CA
- Sing Sing, Animation, Photography and Design Studio, Los Angeles, CA
- Gutsy Girl, Book: Escapades for your Life of Epic Adventure, United States
- Peter Zelewski, Photographer, London, UK
- Wood. Concrete. Brick, Phaidon Press, London, UK
- Nakashima Furniture, Woodworkers, New Hope, PA
- Thomassons, Hyperart Series, Tokyo, Japan
The Partnership issue features the following paper + printing techniques:
Dust Jacket 1: Die Cut + Foil on Strathmore Wove, Eggplant, 80 text/118gsm
Cover 1: Foil on Mohawk BriteHue Vellum, Ultra Fuchsia, 65cover/176gsm
Dust Jacket 2: Die Cut + Foil on Mohawk Loop Antique Vellum, Husk, 80 text/118gsm
Cover 2: Foil on Mohawk Carnival Felt, New Black, 80cover/216gsm
Dust Jacket 3: Foil on Mohawk BriteHue Vellum, Ultra Lemon, 60text/118gsm
Cover 3: Die Cut + Foil on Curious Collection Metallics, Botanic, 111 cover/300gsm
Pages 1-8: Mohawk Loop Antique Vellum, Birch 80 text/118gsm
Pages 9-12: Mohawk Carnival Vellum, Yellow, 70 text/104gsm
Pages 13-16: Strathmore Wove, Golden Olive, 80 text/118gsm
Pages 17-28: Strathmore Wove, Sea Spray, 70 text/104gsm
Photo Inserts: Mohawk Superfine Eggshell, Ultrawhite, 80 text/118gsm
Postcard Inserts: Strathmore Impress Pure Cotton Wove, Ultimate White, 118 cover/20pt/318gsm
Envelopes: Assorted A7 Mohawk colors and textures
Established in 2013, the Mohawk Maker Quarterly has been enthusiastically received by makers and creatives worldwide. What began as a celebration of the culture of craft by highlighting the beauty and tactility of fine paper, the Mohawk Maker Quarterly has evolved into an award-winning publication showcasing thoughtful editorial features, compelling design, and benchmark printing techniques on a variety of distinctive colored and textured papers which demonstrate the range of Mohawk’s expansive Fine Paper portfolio.