Single-pass inkjet press offers converters range of digital post-print advantages
DÜSSELDORF, Germany - Today at interpack 2017, HP Inc. announced HP PageWide C500 Press production capacity of up to 25 million square meters of boards per year, powered by proven HP PageWide Thermal Inkjet Technology.
A robust direct-to-board digital corrugated solution, the HP PageWide C500 also prints on 1.3 meter-wide boards using an innovative corrugated media handling solution with a virtual belt. Announced at drupa 2016, customer beta testing is scheduled to begin at the end of this year, with commercial availability planned for 2018.
“This post-print corrugated solution from HP is yet another step toward digital conversion of traditional printing, offering savings in waste and setup time and improved supply chain efficiencies, in addition to high-quality color graphics, easy customization, and unique versioning capabilities,” said Eric Wiesner, general manager, HP PageWide Industrial Division, HP Inc. “The HP PageWide C500 will help converters to differentiate with capabilities that only single-pass thermal inkjet and aqueous inks can deliver.”
The single-pass, digital post-print HP PageWide C500 solution is designed for any-sized corrugated facility for printing applications from shippers to high-quality graphics boxes, on coated and uncoated papers, without need for lamination, all in offset-replaceable quality.
HP PageWide C500 will also offer a fully integrated stack-to-stack workflow including an innovative in-line overprint varnish (OPV) solution. Converters will also benefit from a smooth integration to the HP PrintOS ecosystem and industry MIS, enabling an easy migration to digital with existing IT (MIS) infrastructure and prepress workflow.
Corrugators adopting HP digital corrugated solutions
The commercially released HP PageWide T400S Press, HP PageWide T1100S Press , HP Scitex 17000 Corrugated Press, and HP Scitex 15500 Corrugated Press are already used by HP customers to quickly turn around short-to-mid-run jobs and keep up with market demands, while delivering more versatility. These customers are anticipating the HP PageWide C500:
“The C500 we saw in HP PageWide Labs looks promising. I’m excited about the print quality and color gamut, and what it will mean for our business. The C500 will be a game-changer. It will definitely help us grow new markets and expand within our high-color graphics and display business,” said Richard Brown, president of The Boxmaker.
Louie DeJesus, CEO at Third Dimension Inc, added: “The C500 is undoubtedly a revolutionary machine. It’s going to change how we’re going to sell in the future. What impressed me most was the food safety part of the ink, and the speed.”
Additional customers that have recently installed HP corrugated solutions include:
- Christiansen Print of Thimm Group of Germany purchased the HP PageWide T1100S Press to launch digital pre-print capacity.
- DS Smith, one of the largest corrugated box manufacturers in Europe, operates the HP PageWide T1100S press.
- Ghelfi Ondulati, based in Buglio in Monte (Sondrio), Italy adopted both the HP PageWide T1100S and HP PageWide T400S.
- Georgia Pacific (Color-Box) operates an HP PageWide T400S Press in Richmond, Indiana, and recently deployed the first North American HP PageWide T1100S in West Chester, Ohio.
- Kaweah Container, Inc., an independent family-owned corrugated container manufacturer for food, wine, industrial, agricultural and software industries, is operating a high-speed HP PageWide T400S Press in its Visalia, California facility.
- Great Northern Corporation (GNC), producer of corrugated packaging, folding cartons and in-store displays, purchased the HP PageWide T400S Press.
HP highlights digital corrugated opportunities at interpack 2017
At interpack 2017, in Hall 13 (Booth 13C93), HP PageWide is demonstrating the value of high-quality digital printing for pre-print and post-print corrugated applications.
The “Box of Ideas” is a must-see experience at the HP stand to learn how to transform packaging with HP digital corrugated printing into a growth path for the future.
Explore applications from shippers to high-quality graphic boxes, on both coated and uncoated papers, produced on the HP PageWide T1100S Press, T400S Press, HP PageWide C500, and Scitex 17000 Corrugated Press.
Corrugated packaging, a more than $226 billion industry enjoying exponential growth, is forecast to hit $269 billion in 2021.1 The HP addressable market is estimated at $3.4 billion.2
HP PageWide technology — with water-based HP inks and pretreatment fluids — is the only digital technology that can address an extensive range of food-related corrugated packaging3. These HP inks and fluids meet stringent demands such as Nestle guidance, Swiss Ordinance and other leading industry standards.4
- Smithers Pira, “The Future of Global Corrugated Packaging to 2021.” April 2016.
- According to an HP internal study, April 2017.
- Based on HP internal testing, and public information surveyed by HP on commercially available digital inks (as of Apr 2017) for digital single-pass industrial printing.
- Leading regulations and industry guidance include: US FDA 21CFR parts 170-199, EU Framework Reg’n 1935/2004/EC, Swiss Ordinance 817.023.21 (2017), EuPIA Guidelines on Printing Inks (incl. GMP guidance & 2017 NIAS-Inks for Food Contact Materials), Nestle guidance (2016), EN 1230 Sensory Evaluation of Printed Paperboard. Evaluation based on representative use cases; packaging converter responsible for determining compliance of final packaging article. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice.