Chesapeake, VA (March 17, 2004) — Due to the overwhelming success of its 2003 Wally Awards program, Yupo Corporation is proud to announce the launch of the 2004 Wally Awards, which recognize design achievements on YUPO synthetic paper. The program will be open to candidates in North and South America who submit a project created on YUPO paper.
Winners of the 2004 Wally Awards will each receive a cash prize of US$1,000, in addition to a copy of the award winning Adobe InDesign CS software, and a customized Wally Award statue designed by illustrator Bill Mayer. Entrants can register on www.wallyawards.com beginning April 1, 2004.
Yupo is also pleased to announce that jewelry designer Toni Young of Pinellas Park, Florida, has been voted the 2003 Designer’s Choice Winner of the Wally Awards. Ms. Young’s innovative jewelry is created by applying acrylic paints to YUPO 68# text paper, cutting the paper into strips, and then heating the paper strips to form small beads. These “YUPO beads” are strung together, along with spacers, to form a truly unique and stylish bracelet. The one-of-a-kind bracelet was one of twelve contestants in the Designer’s Choice category.
“Yupo Corporation is committed to recognizing marketing, creative and graphic communication professionals who produce imaginative projects on YUPO paper,” says Paul Mitcham, National Marketing Manager for Yupo Corp. “Yupo values its partnership with the design and graphic arts industry, and we anticipate that the response to the 2004 Wally Awards program will be even greater than last year.”
The 2004 Wally Awards program includes the following criteria: · Registration is free.
· Any project created on YUPO synthetic paper is eligible. Projects can include, but are not limited to: maps, marketing materials, point-of-purchase displays, signs, menus, tags, brochures, and works of art.
· Submissions must make full use of YUPO paper’s quality and attributes, and be aesthetically pleasing.
· Starting April 1, 2004, candidates must first register at www.wallyaward.com and include a short description explaining why YUPO paper was chosen for the job.
· Projects previously submitted for Wally Awards consideration cannot be entered again and will not be considered.
· Five (5) actual printed, painted, illustrated or converted samples must be submitted to: Yupo Corporation America—Attn: Wally Awards, 800 Yupo Court, Chesapeake, VA 23320 (Tel. 888-USE-YUPO). All submissions become the property of Yupo Corporation.
· All entry samples must be postmarked by September 15, 2004.
· Three winners will be announced in November based on the following criteria: functionality, originality, and creativity. Runners-up will be entered into the Designer’s Choice category and a winner chosen by on-line voting by January 2005.
· A complete description of rules and regulations for the Wally Awards is available by visiting www.wallyaward.com.
WhatTheyThink is the global printing industry's leading independent media organization with both print and digital offerings, including WhatTheyThink.com, PrintingNews.com and WhatTheyThink magazine versioned with a Printing News and Wide-Format & Signage edition. Our mission is to provide cogent news and analysis about trends, technologies, operations, and events in all the markets that comprise today’s printing and sign industries including commercial, in-plant, mailing, finishing, sign, display, textile, industrial, finishing, labels, packaging, marketing technology, software and workflow.