Hannover, Germany March 3, 2004 -- HELIOS Software GmbH , a leading provider of file, print and prepress server solutions for Mac OS X, Linux and all major Unix platforms, announces that HELIOS EtherShare support for AFP 3.1 is now available with the significant, HELIOS exclusive, "smart permissions" feature. HELIOS EtherShare with AFP 3.1 support is the easiest, best performing, and most reliable method for sharing files easily and efficiently over a network with multiple Mac OS X clients.
Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) 3.1 is required to provide full server compatibility with Mac OS X clients, and works as well with Mac OS 8/9 clients. EtherShare support for AFP 3.1 brings these major benefits to OS X clients:
- Very large file support, no 4 GB limit any longer, for archive, prepress and video data
- Unicode/UTF-8 file names and volumes
- File names up to 255 characters in length
- Client/Server reconnect support, and client sleep support
- 2-3 times faster performance than NFS or SMB/CIFS file sharing
- Smart file/folder permissions for OS X clients
WhatTheyThink is the global printing industry's leading independent media organization with both print and digital offerings, including WhatTheyThink.com, PrintingNews.com and WhatTheyThink magazine versioned with a Printing News and Wide-Format & Signage edition. Our mission is to provide cogent news and analysis about trends, technologies, operations, and events in all the markets that comprise today’s printing and sign industries including commercial, in-plant, mailing, finishing, sign, display, textile, industrial, finishing, labels, packaging, marketing technology, software and workflow.