Avery Dennison Corporation today released its first Sustainability Report, Together We're Stronger, detailing the company's 2010 sustainability initiatives, performance and goals. The report, which conforms to Global Reporting Initiative guidelines, is available at: http://www.averydennison.com/avy/en_us/Sustainability.
The report describes how Avery Dennison is working collaboratively to bring product, branding and information solutions to market that increase the sustainability of the industries it serves. "We are delivering on our promise to improve our footprint and work with suppliers, customers, end users and communities to help them become more sustainable," said Dean Scarborough, Avery Dennison chairman, president and CEO.
Significant sustainability accomplishments that the company made in 2010 and which are highlighted in the report include:
- Reduced global energy use (indexed to net sales) 6 percent from 2009 levels;
- Established a web-based metrics system to manage environmental data;
- Built Life Cycle Assessment capability into product development processes and launched Avery Dennison(TM) Greenprint, a life-cycle based tool that helps customers assess the environmental impact of packaging and product choices; and
- Donated $7.2 million of school supplies to U.S. K-12 schools through Avery Dennison's Back to School events.
The report also covers Avery Dennison's sustainability goals for the future:
- Achieving zero manufacturing waste to landfill from company facilities;
- Developing an internal certification mark for sustainable products and materials;
- Driving social compliance into the supply chain by initiating a pilot program with select supply chain partners; and
- Further developing Avery Dennison Foundation's recently-launched Global Grantmaking Initiative to support nonprofits in emerging markets.
Avery Dennison welcomes feedback on its report at [email protected].