February 2004 – Agfa announced today the availability of :ApogeeX 2.0, the newest version of its prepress workflow solution based on PDF, JDF, and Digital Film. This new release focuses primarily on system scalability and load distribution of process intensive tasks. In addition, it comes with many connectivity features such as drivers for new Agfa and non-Agfa CtF and CtP imaging devices as well as proofers.
While the first release of :ApogeeX focused primarily on small printers and low volume production environment, in which users want a well-featured single platform solution at an entry-level price point, :ApogeeX 2.0 provides solutions that accommodate the productivity and connectivity needs of both the small and the high-end user.
“Users want to be able to scale their systems so they can anticipate short deadline needs or any change in their workflow requirement. At the same time, we see that customers want to interface their workflow with legacy engines and proofers, with MIS or production planning systems, or with their imposition solution. :ApogeeX 2.0 is a perfect fit since it will do all of this with great simplicity, thanks to its intelligent design and user-friendly interface,” said Johan Berlaen, general manager of Agfa’s Software Solutions.
New user-friendly features that have been added to :ApogeeX 2.0 include:
• Increased JDF functionality extending automation up to content creators and facilitating the distribute and print model
• Load balancing to fully and dynamically scale a system, meeting peak load criteria of demanding production environments
• Fault Tolerance to insure maximum up-time and protect customer investment
• Export of PDF/X-1a and PDF/X-3, and more.
New Product Configurations.
:ApogeeX 2.0 features two new product configurations in addition to the already announced :ApogeeX Light, :ApogeeX Commercial and :ApogeeX Packaging. New to :ApogeeX 2.0 are:
• :ApogeeX Create Pro builds on the popular :Apogee Series3 Create, providing advanced PDF creation requirements for publishers, designers, ad agencies, service bureaus and prepress houses. Besides PDF creation and Preflighting, :ApogeeX Create Pro resolves PDFs including transparencies, and optionally traps the PDF, or provides page proofs to content and contract proofers.
• :ApogeeX Proofer builds on the popular :Apogee PDF Proofer RIP. Slated for release in March, it’s the most basic version of :ApogeeX, targeting customers that prefer a DIY (Do it Yourself) proofing workflow, where PS, PDF or EPS documents are conveniently processed for output to a range of proofing devices.
“Whatever :ApogeeX product is used, customers will experience the same ease-of-use, same look and feel, and will have access to the same features, of the :ApogeeX product,” Berlaen added.
Agfa’s solutions and services can be found at Drupa 2004 in Hall 06/D27.
WhatTheyThink is the global printing industry's leading independent media organization with both print and digital offerings, including WhatTheyThink.com, PrintingNews.com and WhatTheyThink magazine versioned with a Printing News and Wide-Format & Signage edition. Our mission is to provide cogent news and analysis about trends, technologies, operations, and events in all the markets that comprise today’s printing and sign industries including commercial, in-plant, mailing, finishing, sign, display, textile, industrial, finishing, labels, packaging, marketing technology, software and workflow.