The Hague, The Netherlands – FINAT, the worldwide association representing the interests of the self-adhesive labelling industry, announced the winners of its latest label awards competition. With this being the 31st FINAT label competition it is satisfying that a record number of entries were received. This, coupled with a higher than average quality level, made the selection of the eventual winners very difficult. Consequently there were many more Highly Commended awards this year.
Best in Show
The 'Best in Show' and the 'Marketing End Users Group Winner' awards goes to Collotype Labels USA, for its "Kenwood Artist Series label.
The judges were impressed not only by the technical excellence of the label, using the offset litho process along with delicate foiling, but also by its artistic appearance. "This label was technically excellent with an almost ethereal look replicating the skin tones of the subject with great delicacy," said Tony White, Chairman of the judges. "It has an old fashioned appearance evoking the early days of theatre. The dramatic look of the label is enough to grab the consumer's attention on the shelf."
Special Jury Award
This year a label with an unusual design and die-cut shape caught the eye of the judges who rewarded it with a special 'Jury Award'. The printer is The Marzek Group, Austria with the Hirschmugl label which, when applied to a bottle, gives the appearance of a coiled snake with its head and tail prominent. "The combination of the unusual diecut shape and the glitter pigmented ink stopped us in our tracks," continued Tony White.
The trend towards the increasing number of entries for the Marketing and End-Users Group continues with more than 200 entries received this year.
The Printing Processes Group winner was Pago International, Switzerland for Just Malve – Mauve Bath, a delicate label which highlights how good UV letterpress can be. The subtle design gives the label a very feminine appeal.
The Non-Adhesive Group was won by Stratus Packaging from France for a really well printed flexo sleeve for 'Soupe à l'oignon'. The onions looked real and the result on a PVC film was outstanding. There were more entries for the sleeves category than in previous years.
A device for holding important rescue data for cars was seen not only as a new application but also as an important contribution for shortening the time for rescuing people trapped in a vehicle accident, possibly a life saving contribution. Simple but effective this 'Safety Bag' holds all the rescue data sheets for the type of car being driven. Printed by the Schreiner Group from Germany, this shows how the humble label can impact on emergency situations.
Record Number of Entries
"We received just over 360 entries from 50 companies worldwide," said Tony White, "an eleven percent increase over last year's record numbers". Our judging panel included well known industry experts from Turkey, (Murat Sipahioglu), Switzerland (Ferdinand Rüesch), Italy (Emilio Gerboni) and a packaging design expert from The Netherlands (Lianne van den Berg).
The top 10 countries entering and winning awards are shown in the following table:
India 62 28 awards (45%)
Turkey 34 15 awards (44%)
Germany 30 14 awards (46%)
Switzerland 19 14 awards (73%)
France 24 11 awards (46%)
Poland 33 11 awards (33%)
Austria 15 10 awards (66%)
Denmark 25 10 awards (40%)
Italy 15 10 awards (66%)
UK 24 8 awards (33%)
Many of the winners from this year's competition will be entered in the World Label Awards competition which will take place just before Labelexpo Europe in September.
From the previous year's FINAT winners 7 received a World Label award including the Schreiner Group, Royston Labels, Skanem Newcastle, Tapp Technologies, Marzek Etiketten, Dow Industries and Skanem Hobro.
The winners of the 2011 FINAT label competition
Best in Show:
Collotype Labels, USA for Kenwood Artist Series
Special Jury Award:
Marzek Etketten, Austria for Hirschmugl
A. Marketing and End-Users Group:
- Alcoholic Drinks: Joint winners: Collotype Labels, USA for Kenwood Artist Series and Skanem Introl SA for Zubrówka 1L Czysta Wódka
- Food Products: Wintek Flexo Prints, India for Bon Gold Coffee
- Household Products: Skanem Skurup AB, Sweden for Sun
- Industrial Products: Skanem Hobro A/S, Denmark for Kosangas
- Cosmetics: Etisan Etiket, Turkey for Cortex Herbal Therapy Shampoo
- Pharmaceutical: Universal Print Systems, India for Himalaya Eyecare
- Security: Securikett Ulrich & Horn GmbH, Austria for TÜV Car Plate
- Booklets: Skanem Introl SA, Poland for Oriflame Booklet
- Promotional Coupons: Schreiner Group, Germany for consumer label with detachable parts
- Self Promotional: IPE, Spain for IPE Optical Pigments
- Sets of Labels: Joint winners: Kolibri Labels B.V., The Netherlands for Brouwerij 't IJ, Stratus Packaging, France for Delpeyrat magret de canard and CheMes M Szperlinski, Poland for Dr Marcus Titanium
The Marketing and End-Users Group Winner: Collotype USA for Kenwood Artist Series
B. Printing Processes Group:
- Flexography: Wintek Flexo Prints, India for Himalaya Herbals Revitalising Night Cream
- Rotary Letterpress: Pago International, Switzerland for just Malve-Mauve Bath
- Screen Printing (Silk): schäfer-etiketten GmbH & Co. KG, Germany for Trinity Créasoin
- Reel fed Offset Litho: Tapp Technologies Inc., Canada for Sea Smoke One Barrel Pinot Noir 2008
- Digital Printing: Flexiket A/S, Denmark for ASDA Bed Cabinet
- Combination Printing: Kimbells Pack Inc., Philippines for Arengga Coffee Alamid
The Printing Processes Group Winner: Pago International AG, Switzerland for Just Malve-Mauve Bath
C. Non-Adhesive Applications
Cartons: Kimbels Pack Inc, Philippines for Omega Pain Relieving liniment metallised box
Sleeves: Stratus Packaging, France for Manchon Saveurs en or soupe à l'oignon
The Non-Adhesive Applications Group Winner: Stratus Packaging, France for Manchon Saveurs en or soupe à l'oignon
Schreiner Group GmbH & Co. KG, Germany for Safety Bag
The above is also the Group Winner