Enovation Donates Fujifilm ColourKit Profiler Suite to Cal Poly & GATF
Press release from the issuing company
HANOVER PARK, Ill., January 2004 – In addition to being dedicated to providing customers with the best products and technologies available today, Enovation Graphic Systems, Inc. is also dedicated to providing graphic communications students with the opportunity to use and master those products and technologies. Thanks to that dedication, students at California Polytechnic State University (San Luis Obispo) and the Graphic Arts Technical Foundation (GATF) are now using the latest solution in color profiling software, Fujifilm’s ColourKit Profiler Suite v 4.0.
Enovation, working in conjunction with Fujifilm Electronic Imaging in the United Kingdom, donated the software to the two institutions recently as part of the company’s commitment to furthering education within the industry and Cal Poly is already using it in classes required for all undergraduates. “We installed it in the spring and used it for one class right away,” says Mike Blum, a professor in the graphic communications program at Cal Poly. “We’ve used a lot of other color management programs and this one is one of the most logical I’ve seen.”
Attendees of GATF’s color management seminars will also be seeing the new ColourKit software. GATF offers a wide range of workshops from introductory workshops for those new to the industry to more specialized workshops focused on topics such as computer-to-plate and digital proofing and PDF/digital prepress workflows. GATF also offers a five-day workshop on implementing color management, which will offer users an opportunity to use the latest software, including Fujifilm’s ColourKit Profiler Suite v4.0.
ColourKit v4.0 is a full-featured suite of applications, allowing users to make, edit and process color profiles. Developed in accordance with the new version 4 ICC specifications for the creation of ICC color profiles, ColourKit v 4.0 allows users to edit already created profiles and is available in several modules that can be purchased as a suite or individually as a customer’s needs expand. The full suite includes the profile-making and profile-editing modules for the monitor, camera and scanner as well as for RGB and CMYK output. An image processor and image editor can also be purchased separately.
“We’re very impressed with the ColourKit software,” notes Brian Lawler, a graphic arts consultant and professor at Cal Poly. “I’ve seen and reviewed some target profiles and they seem to be very good. It’s excellent stuff.”
“It seems like a well laid-out suite of applications and it works great in a teaching environment,” Blum adds. Cal Poly is also using the software for the seminars and workshops that the college hosts for industry professionals.
Fujifilm’s ColourKit v4.0 also has one of the most extensive sets of profile editing tools available, tools that allow comprehensive editing of both input and output profiles as well as editing of both RGB and CMYK image types. Many of the editor tools have legacy technology that has evolved from the company’s extensive experience with early drum scanners, including some of the most advanced unsharp masking techniques available.
Fujifilm’s ColourKit v4.0 is compatible with Macintosh OSX and Windows 2000/XP and features support for the EyeOne spectrophotometer and improved support for inkjet profiles.
“Our students’ ability to use the software is good because a lot of classes are theoretical,” Lawler explains. “There’s a lot of talk about color, but that’s only 10 percent of the story. Really managing color is the other 90 percent. Our students are able to use it and it makes the whole process make sense.”
For more information on ColourKit v4.0 or to download a free 14-day, fully functional demo visit the official ColourKit website at www.colorprofiling.com.
WhatTheyThink is the global printing industry's leading independent media organization with both print and digital offerings, including WhatTheyThink.com, PrintingNews.com and WhatTheyThink magazine versioned with a Printing News and Wide-Format & Signage edition. Our mission is to provide cogent news and analysis about trends, technologies, operations, and events in all the markets that comprise today’s printing and sign industries including commercial, in-plant, mailing, finishing, sign, display, textile, industrial, finishing, labels, packaging, marketing technology, software and workflow.