Cheverly, MD - For the eighth consecutive year, MOSAIC has been named "Best Workplace in the Americas" for 2010 in the Printing Industries of America (PIA) Best Workplace Program. The company, based in Cheverly, MD, was also awarded the top "Best of the Best" award for the fifth year.
PIA's program began in 2000 to recognize graphics arts companies for their outstanding human relations (HR) practices, which contribute to a successful workplace. MOSAIC was chosen over other competitors, all of whom actively show employees that they care about their work environment, their personal goals and ambitions, as well as the needs of the company.
"MOSAIC is proud to have again been selected for these distinguished awards," said Brendan Connors, CEO, MOSAIC. "Our employees are our greatest asset, and we take their health, safety, and happiness very seriously. It's an honor to be recognized by the industry as a company that offers a superior workplace.
A panel of experienced, highly respected HR professionals reviewed the entry submissions. Entries were judged on management practices, work environment, training and development opportunities, recognition and rewards, workplace health and safety, health and wellness, financial security, and work-life balance.
MOSAIC creates a nurturing environment for its employees using an in-depth process that illustrates how the company values each employee.
- Employee of the Month recognizing outstanding employee performances and receiving recognition, gift certificate and special parking place for the month;
- "Great Ideas" incentive program rewarding employees who come up with innovative and money-saving ideas with a gift card;
- Hand prepared cookout lunch as a "thank you" to all of the employees for their hard work
- Discount tickets for amusement parks
- Annual all-you-can-eat" crab feast to encourage fellowship with other employees
- Holiday Christmas Party for employees and spouses
- "Hallway of Fame" for employee-submitted photos for display in our 200 ft main hallways
Health and Wellness Programs:
- "Living Well" newsletter mailed to employees home each quarter
- Onsite Flu Shots free for employees/reduced rate for family members
- Onsite training for Flu prevention for both swine and Asian flu.
- Hand Sanitizer dispensers placed through out the building.
- Benefits Day: benefit providers come each year answer questions and provide training to employees.
- Employee Health Screenings
- "Choose your Attitude" display board that posts weekly motivational sayings
Employee Management Communications:
- Newsletters sent to employee homes so spouses & family members feel included.
- Monthly Communication Meetings to discuss Company News, introduce Team Building exercises, recognize new employees, celebrate anniversaries, positively drive attitude, teamwork and common goals.
- The HR Department is available to employees, regardless of what shift they work
- Bulletins boards have letters from satisfied clients, award-winning artwork
"Huddles": informal, small-group meetings to discuss training, issues and get employee input for improvements.
- Birthday cakes and birthday cards with $20 hand delivered by company owners
Education / Training Opportunities:
- Employee-driven best practices procedure system
- Workload leveling program to help employees manage workload thresholds
- Safety focused training programs
- Ongoing training for CPR/AED, forklift, PSI/Estimating, Lockout/Tag out, MSDS, Right to Know, CP24,NAPC, Indigo, CS5, Adobe Creative Suite 5, Lenticular, Metrics, Goldmine, Lake Image Systems and Flu prevention.
Community Outreach Programs and Company Sponsored Events:
- Food Drives to support the local Food Banks
- Marine Toys for Tots
- Holiday Ornament Program and Donation to a needy charity
- Angel Tree Program
- Annual Employees Chili Cook-Off with proceeds going to "Toys for Tots"
"While every company that entered this year's competition has HR programs they should be proud of, the Best Workplace program recognizes outstanding accomplishment," said Jim Kyger, Assistant VP of HR for Printing Industries. "The Best Workplace program stands out as one of the most stringent HR awards programs available today in any industry with more than 300 metrics. The program is an excellent way to give employers instituting innovative-yet-cost-effective HR programs the recognition they deserve."