Xerox Docucolor 5252 Offers More Value, Faster Speed At No Extra Cost
Press release from the issuing company
CHICAGO, Sept. 29, 2003 – Xerox Corporation is strengthening its industry-leading DocuColor line with a new, full-featured digital production press that is 18 percent faster than its predecessor, at the same price. Printing at 52 page-per-minute (ppm), the Xerox DocuColor 5252 Digital Color Press replaces the 45 ppm DocuColor 2045.
The DocuColor 5252, that can be equipped with an enhanced color server and new finishing options, is the latest in Xerox’s family of high-quality digital color presses designed for the demanding production color market. Since the first DocuColor 2000 Series presses were introduced three years ago, nearly 9000 units have been installed, making them the best selling systems in their class.
“This new entry-level digital color press brings a winning combination of new pricing and performance features for the graphic arts and commercial print markets,” said Gil Hatch, president, Xerox Production Systems Group. “The DocuColor 5252 is designed to support customers’ current printing needs with the ability to grow with their businesses.”
The DocuColor 5252 allows customers to produce cost-effective short-run printing, variable information printing and advanced finishing. It is designed to serve the needs of:
- Small and medium commercial printers and quick-print shops, who can boost revenue by expanding the applications they offer to their customers, such as customized brochures, one-to-one documents and other sophisticated print jobs.
- Educational institutions and government agencies, which will benefit by cost-effectively producing large presentations, newsletters and course manuals.
- In-plant operations who require fast turnaround times on marketing materials, presentations and reports.
The press prints at full speed in full-color or black-and-white and offers 600 x 600 dots-per-inch resolution at full eight bits of color depth per pixel – providing superior image quality. It features the color consistency and front-to-back registration that discriminating graphic arts service providers demand.
The DocuColor 5252 enables printers to produce new applications by printing on a wide array of paper and substrates, including digital optimized papers from Xerox, that can be loaded in three trays for a total paper capacity of 3,100 sheets. The press has automatic size detection for standard sizes and one tray designed to handle coated stocks. It also has the ability to load paper as it runs and automatic tray switching, when a tray is empty, for virtually non-stop continuous printing. The print engine automatically removes the curl from paper to produce flat, uniform sheets.
In addition to color servers from EFI and Creo, the new Xerox DSP6000 color server, powered by DocuSP, has robust processing capabilities and color management capabilities – making this a powerful offering for the entry-level production market. Integrated under Xerox Freeflow Digital Workflow Collection, the umbrella strategy for Xerox’s workflow offerings, the color servers ensure customers can easily integrate the digital presses into their existing workflow and protect past investments without additional staff training.
Initial finishing for the DocuColor 5252 will include a number of options
- Xerox Enhanced High Capacity Stacker that features 3,750-sheet capacity and a sample set inspection button. The sample set button allows users to examine a print at any point during a run.
- High Capacity Stacker / Stapler with a capacity of 2,000 sheets in the primary tray and 500 sheets in the top tray. The stacker stapler will also offset and staple up to 50 sheets.
- Advanced binding options include the Standard Horizon ColorWorks 2000 Booklet Maker with full bleed trimming and scoring and the Xerox Document Binder DB120-D for creating professional looking perfect bound documents such as manuals and catalogs.
The U.S. list price for the DocuColor 5252 Digital Color Press is $91,000 with a variety of service pricing available. U.S. list prices for color servers are: $42,000 for the EFI EXP2000d; $53,000 for the Creo CXP6000; and $53,000 for the Xerox DSP6000.
The DocuColor 5252 is sold through the Xerox direct sales force, agents and concessionaires. Order taking and shipments begin Sept. 29 in Europe and North America. Order taking in most major Developing Markets starts in the beginning of October.
WhatTheyThink is the global printing industry's leading independent media organization with both print and digital offerings, including WhatTheyThink.com, PrintingNews.com and WhatTheyThink magazine versioned with a Printing News and Wide-Format & Signage edition. Our mission is to provide cogent news and analysis about trends, technologies, operations, and events in all the markets that comprise today’s printing and sign industries including commercial, in-plant, mailing, finishing, sign, display, textile, industrial, finishing, labels, packaging, marketing technology, software and workflow.