Konica Minolta Unveils Two New Black and White MFPs
Press release from the issuing company
Ramsey, N.J. – June 2, 2008 – Konica Minolta Business Solutions U.S.A., Inc. (Konica Minolta), a leading provider of advanced imaging and networking technologies for the desktop to the print shop, today announced the introduction of the bizhub 501 and the bizhub 421 multifunctional products (MFPs – print, copy, fax, and scan all in one system). With print/copy speeds of 50 and 42 pages per minute (ppm), respectively, the bizhub 501/421 Series is ideal for mid- to high-volume office environments that require a reliable, monochrome MFP with network capabilities, and flexible document finishing and distribution functionality.
Featuring monthly duty cycles up to 175,000 impressions, high toner yields, PageScope network management tools and bizhub OP, the bizhub 501/421 Series brings a new level of performance and reliability to mid-to-large-sized offices by delivering a common user experience, increased manageability, superior print performance, improved scanning functionality and enhanced security.
These dynamic Segment 4 document workflow MFPs have been designed to provide workgroups and businesses in need of black and white production with powerful features and a multitude of document workflow solutions. Functional highlights include: high output speeds; fast, flexible scanning up to 70 originals per minute (opm); an all-new look and feel similar to that of color bizhub products, featuring the white InfoLine providing users with at a glance machine status; 8.5" color touch-screen control panel interface that tilts and rotates for easy accessibility; User Box and User Authentication functionality; Konica Minolta Simitri Polymerized Toner; and production-quality finishing options.
"Employing the same common architecture, dynamic InfoLine design, and full-color LCD panel as our award-winning color bizhub products, the bizhub 501/421 Series of monochrome MFPs delivers on our customers' needs for a blended printing approach, said Kevin P. Kern, vice president, marketing, Konica Minolta Business Solutions U.S. A. Inc. "With advanced network features and high-quality output capabilities, the bizhub 501/421 Series provides a powerful combination of speed, reliability and reduced cost of ownership in a compact footprint."
Support for IPv6 Next-Generation Network Protocol
Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is designated as the successor of IPv4, the current version of the Internet Protocol. IPv6 dramatically increases IP addressing power, and gives every networked bizhub device its own IP address to facilitate communication and improve security. Starting in June 2008, the U.S. Government will require all peripherals connecting to their network to support IPv6. At launch, the bizhub 501/421 Series will provide full support for the new IPv6 next-generation network protocol.
bizhub 501/421 Series Innovations and Advancements:
- InfoLine status reporting with new LED lights
- Biometric Authentication Unit security option
- Scan-to-USB Memory
- Windows Vista Driver Support
- Support for IPv6 next-generation Network Protocol
- Emperon controller enhancements include higher processing speeds, unification of printer drivers (PCL/PS/XPS), advanced user box editing and storing capabilities and user box thumbnail preview
- Encrypted Network Password Printing support allows administration to enter their own encryption passphrase (factory default encryption passphrase is standard)
- Print-from-USB Memory
- Optional IC-207 Image Controller, driven by bizhub OP's Emperon Print System, includes PCL5e/PCL6, PostScript Level 3 emulation and more
bizhub 501/421 Series Standard Features:
- bizhub 501 offers print/copy speeds of up to 50 ppm
- bizhub 421 offers print/copy speeds of up to 42 ppm
- 175,000-impression (bizhub 501) and 150,000-impression (bizhub 421) monthly duty cycles
- Simitri Polymerized Toner for superior B&W print quality
- Advanced security with award-winning Hard Drive Overwrite security function, Job Erase, Account Track, IP Address Filtering, and LDAP Authentication
- 8.5-inch color LCD display control panel to preview data and display thumbnail images to view the job before it prints. The panel can be tilted both vertically and horizontally for compliance with Section 508
- bizhub OP for multifunctional productivity
- Optional embedded print controller with advanced print functionality, including PCL5e/PCL6, PS3 emulation and XPS (XML paper specification) printing
- Advanced network scanning capabilities including Scan-to-Email, Scan-to-FTP, Scan-to-HDD, Scan-to-SMB, Network TWAIN and WS-Scan
- bizhub Send Feature allows documents to be scanned to SMB, Email, FTP, WebDAV, FAX, and User Box simultaneously
- Rapid scanning up to 70 opm
- Automatic duplexing
- Ability to handle up to 110 lb. index paper from the manual bypass
- 600 x 600 dpi print/copy resolution; 1,200 x 600 dpi printing, when smoothing is selected
- 5,650-sheet maximum paper capacity
- 1,024 MB standard memory
- PageScope Software Suite including PageScope Web Connection and PageScope Net Care
bizhub 501/421 Series Options:
- Additional paper cassettes for up to 5,650-sheet maximum paper capacity
- 60 GB hard drive
- Super G3 analog FAX capabilities
- Advanced finishing options, including 50-sheet stapling, saddle-stitch booklet making, and two-and three-hole punching
- Advanced security options such as the Biometric Authentication Unit
Pricing and Availability
The bizhub 501 and bizhub 421 are available now through Konica Minolta's North American direct sales, authorized dealer and value-added reseller channels. The manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for the bizhub 501 is $12,300; and the bizhub 421 is $9,720.
WhatTheyThink is the global printing industry's leading independent media organization with both print and digital offerings, including WhatTheyThink.com, PrintingNews.com and WhatTheyThink magazine versioned with a Printing News and Wide-Format & Signage edition. Our mission is to provide cogent news and analysis about trends, technologies, operations, and events in all the markets that comprise today’s printing and sign industries including commercial, in-plant, mailing, finishing, sign, display, textile, industrial, finishing, labels, packaging, marketing technology, software and workflow.