[Cohoes, NY] – Mohawk is excited to introduce Mohawk Superfine i-ToneTM, a breakthrough in uncoated papers for HP Indigo printers. The proprietary i-ToneTM process, developed by Mohawk specifically for the HP Indigo and applied to Superfine, will bring legendary Mohawk Superfine to a new generation of printers. Leveraging the proven technology of the HP Indigo press, Mohawk is once again at the forefront of digital imaging innovation.
Mohawk Superfine i-ToneTM also brings unprecedented opportunities for printers to expand their printing capabilities and increase their profit potential, as well as position themselves at the forefront of this exciting technology. “Mohawk Superfine i-ToneTM is the BEST uncoated sheet we have ever run,” says Molly Rosenthal of Digital Page, a leading New York printer. “The way the ink adheres to the sheet is extraordinary. We no longer need to worry about the shelf life of the paper. Superfine will now become our "house" uncoated sheet for our Indigo press,” she adds.
Mohawk Superfine i-ToneTM was tested extensively at the Printing Applications Laboratory at nationally renowned RIT. It passed “with flying colors,” according to Digital Printing Technologist Brian Waltz. “Mohawk Superfine i-ToneTM performed very well and easily passed all qualifications. I am really impressed with this paper,” he said. Waltz noted the adhesion is extremely high at 99.5%, the flaking tests were minimal at 1mm or less, and the blanket memory is very strong. After 250 sheets they only required one sheet to clean the blanket memory. These are exceptional results,” he reports.
The science behind brilliant printing
The exclusive i-ToneTM process is made possible by an exclusive collaboration of Mohawk technology and a proprietary Nalco formulation. Offered only by Mohawk, Superfine i-ToneTM:
• Offers exceptional image transfer, with fewer “clicks” to clean blankets, longer blanket life and heightened productivity
• Has a unique affinity for ElectroInkTM and was engineered for brilliant, consistent image quality with unrivaled toner adhesion
• Brings new value and flexibility to the Mohawk digital papers portfolio without the shelf-life issues common with pre-treated Indigo papers
• Works with both dry toner and ElectroInk, making Superfine i-ToneTM: true, digital cross-platform paper; the perfect “house sheet” for the digital printer
The art behind exquisite printing: Mohawk Superfine
• Legendary Mohawk Superfine inspires great design, making it an appropriate choice for high-end corporate communications and fine-art editions, both books and prints
• Superfine offers superb formation and yields extraordinary print quality
• Archival Superfine is the first choice for limited-edition prints and fine-art reproductions
• Superfine is coveted for its soft, substantial feel
• Superfine I-ToneTM is cut to fit and stocked for the HP indigo press. It is also recyclable.
Mohawk Superfine I-ToneTM has been system-tested and certified for the HP Indigo Press by RIT’s Printing Applications Lab. “This paper not only exceeds the certification standards of RIT, but meets our own high standards for Mohawk Superfine,” says Chris Harrold, Director, Business Development, Digital Papers. “It is so cool to work for a company where innovation is routine,” he adds.
The development of I-ToneTM
Nearly one year ago, Mohawk approached Illinois-based Nalco to help develop a solution for an Indigo printable paper. The companies have partnered on many projects during the course of their 20+ year relationship. The Superfine I-ToneTM project was particularly challenging. The goal was to create an economically viable solution able to deliver a paper performance breakthrough –without violating existing patents. According to Luis Filipe Veiga, Industry Development Manager, Printing and Writing Grades at Nalco, “This paper grade developed for Indigo presses is the result of Nalco’s SMART SolutionsTM for Digital Grades combined with Mohawk’s papermaking expertise. Our focus during this project was to provide unprecedented paper performance and return for Mohawk customers.” The result exceeded everyone’s expectations.
SMART Solutions is a trademark of Nalco Company.
WhatTheyThink is the global printing industry's leading independent media organization with both print and digital offerings, including WhatTheyThink.com, PrintingNews.com and WhatTheyThink magazine versioned with a Printing News and Wide-Format & Signage edition. Our mission is to provide cogent news and analysis about trends, technologies, operations, and events in all the markets that comprise today’s printing and sign industries including commercial, in-plant, mailing, finishing, sign, display, textile, industrial, finishing, labels, packaging, marketing technology, software and workflow.