XMPie Launches uDirect For Adobe InDesign at Graph Expo 2004
Press release from the issuing company
CHICAGO, Oct. 11 -- GRAPH EXPO 2004 -- XMPie, the award-winning software provider for dynamic publishing, today announced the launch of its newest software, uDirect(TM) developed specifically for Adobe(R) InDesign(R) CS. uDirect enables creative professionals to easily produce powerfully-personalized, visually-rich variable-data print (VDP) documents that meet sophisticated design and 1:1 marketing requirements, right within the native InDesign environment.
XMPie is demonstrating uDirect in the Adobe Booth #4655 throughout the exhibition; live demos are being shown on Adobe's stage on October 10th and 12th at 3:30pm. XMPie is offering a 60-day free trial of the uDirect software on CD-ROM at Graph Expo and as a download from the Adobe VDP Resource Center at http://www.adobe.com/vdp.
uDirect is the first stand-alone desktop solution for Mac or PC that is completely integrated into InDesign as a plug-in and is fully compatible with XMPie's award winning PersonalEffect(TM) system. It provides the individual designer with a self-contained and easy-to-use software package with high-end variable design capabilities, at an attractive price.
"The primary barriers to widespread adoption of VDP have been the complexity of the production process and the need for specialized technical skills," stated Jacob Aizikowitz, CEO of XMPie. "uDirect breaks through those barriers with its ease-of-use, wide range of options for personalizing text and visual elements and designer-focused integration into InDesign. With uDirect, VDP projects become practical and accessible for desktop publishing professionals. The creative possibilities are limitless."
uDirect's breakthrough features include:
Seamless integration into Adobe InDesign and XMPie's PersonalEffect:
* Utilizes the robust creative capabilities of InDesign along with dynamic, variable data driven elements
* Connects to PersonalEffect for advanced functionality such as cross-media communications, multiple database connections, web2print deployment and high-volume printing
Unlimited number of variable elements and dynamic design objects:
* No need to compromise design or level of personalization
* True 1:1 marketing response rates now possible using InDesign
Real VDP without programmers:
* Automatic definition of business rules, extraction of field headers from data source and population of "content objects"
* Point and click functionality to link elements with variable data
* Designer-friendly "rule editor" to build advanced rules and to add conditional rules, logical operators, arithmetic operations and number/date formatting.
* Live linking to a local data source (.txt, .csv, .mdb, .dbf)
WYSIWYG preview of dynamic design:
* Real-time previews of variations in dynamic design objects throughout the design process
Multiple output formats:
* Standard output capabilities - Adobe PDF and Adobe PostScript
* Leading VDP output capabilities - Creo VPS, Xerox VIPP, PPML/VDX
The uDirect product, offered at $2,500 includes support for PDF and one additional VDP output format that is selected by the user upon product installation. Additional output formats can be purchased separately through the Adobe Store starting in October 2004 at http://www.adobe.com/vdp.
WhatTheyThink is the global printing industry's leading independent media organization with both print and digital offerings, including WhatTheyThink.com, PrintingNews.com and WhatTheyThink magazine versioned with a Printing News and Wide-Format & Signage edition. Our mission is to provide cogent news and analysis about trends, technologies, operations, and events in all the markets that comprise today’s printing and sign industries including commercial, in-plant, mailing, finishing, sign, display, textile, industrial, finishing, labels, packaging, marketing technology, software and workflow.