International Color Consortium to explore new strategic directions
Press release from the issuing company
The International Color Consortium, a global, industry-wide coalition working for open, vendor-neutral, cross-platform color management, is launching a new appraisal of possible strategic directions to guide its activities in the future.
Meeting recently in Scottsdale, Arizona, ICC leadership noted that a new look at the Consortium’s role and activities is now in order, after more than a decade devoted to the development, publication and enhancement of its widely used specification.
The ICC Steering Committee began the strategic planning process by identifying 14 topics for discussion and decision. These topics include:
• ICC’s membership, charter, liaisons and relationships with other organizations such as the International Organization for Standardization.
• The frequency, duration and scope of ICC meetings.
• The possibility of ICC organizing specialized conferences for developers and users of color management products.
• Enhancing ICC’s image among its numerous publics, including both professional specialties and industry categories.
• Addressing color management workflows in areas outside of graphic arts, including cinema, digital photography, and medical imaging.
• Evaluating ICC’s performance as an organization.
• Developing a Version 5 profile format, and exploring what additional specifications might be needed after that.
The Steering Committee told the full ICC it hoped to have completed prioritizing and discussing these topics in time to make a report at the February meeting in Miami, Florida. “This kind of focused evaluation is critical to help ICC remain valuable and effective in the future,” said ICC Chair Lars Borg, Manager, Color Technology, Core Color, Adobe Systems.
In other action in Scottsdale, Dr. Abhay Sharma, Associate Professor at Western Michigan University, became chair of ICC’s Profile Assessment Working Group. ICC also discussed a comprehensive redesign and expansion of the ICC web site, to include white papers and other materials, as well as a possible translation into French.
WhatTheyThink is the global printing industry's go-to information source with both print and digital offerings, including WhatTheyThink.com, WhatTheyThink Email Newsletters, and the WhatTheyThink magazine. Our mission is to inform, educate, and inspire the industry. We provide cogent news and analysis about trends, technologies, operations, and events in all the markets that comprise today's printing and sign industries including commercial, in-plant, mailing, finishing, sign, display, textile, industrial, finishing, labels, packaging, marketing technology, software and workflow.