April 30, 2003, Chicago – Oce announces the release of Océ Engineering Exec 3.2 software, which helps companies eliminate the time wasted searching for documents and waiting for prints. Océ Engineering Exec software is an integrated suite of applications used widely in the CAD industry that addresses enterprise-wide, technical document distribution, printing and archiving. This new version gives manufacturing, government, telecom and utility customers, among others, enhanced performance, scalability, reliability and robustness that take advantage of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 technology. This change significantly enhances database reliability, lessens the network activity load and greatly improves the scalability of the Océ Engineering Exec software suite.
Enterprise-Wide Information – Secure, Immediate and Accurate
Today’s businesses are struggling with a growing storehouse of technical documents and information that often resides in many places and in varied formats. Finding the latest drawings and related change notices, or retrieving a complete set of final documents, is often frustrating and can be especially problematic when distributing those sets to multiple, and often remote, locations in a timely fashion.
Adding to this complexity are increased concerns regarding information security. In the event of a national crisis or disaster, organizations such as government agencies and engineering contractors must be able to retrieve important documents at a moment’s notice. As a result, organizations need to create secure digital document archives of their business critical information. Secure storage, instantaneous document access for authorized users, and the ability to facilitate off-site back-up archives are all imperative to this process.
Océ Engineering Exec 3.2 software addresses these growing needs head on. The new version provides an integrated solution that delivers a scalable, distributed system that centrally collects, organizes and delivers all of a business’ technical documentation on demand, 24x7, anywhere
across the enterprise.
“Océ Engineering Exec 3.2 software is the glue that holds the flow of information together for our customers. It brings together all enterprise-wide technical information and organizes it by using terms and structures that are familiar to people needing this data. The solution also encompasses the best online tools for searching, viewing and printing documents instantly – to anywhere inside or outside of the enterprise, even to remote locations, suppliers and customers,” said Joyce Virnich, vice president of marketing for the Océ-USA, Inc. Wide Format Printing Systems business unit.
Greater Speed and Integration of Information
Embedded in Océ Engineering Exec 3.2 software are several enhancements designed to improve the efficiency, flow and synergy of information across an enterprise. These include:
• Support for Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) for smaller installations or Microsoft SQL Server 2000 for larger enterprise installations. Since MSDE 2000 is based on SQL Server technology, it can provide an easy migration to SQL Server when the customer needs to expand.
• Microsoft Windows XP support to help customers keep pace with current operating system technology.
• Image clean-up tools incorporated into Advanced Import and Index. This module has been expanded to provide image clean-up functionality to correct image defects resulting from scanning such as despeckle, deskew, rotate, crop/resize and view images in gray scale. This is ideal for users that want to batch scan everything to a folder and perform the image clean-up while importing into the archive.
• Expanded print job splitting to automatically re-route A and/or B-size documents to the most cost-effective output devices.
• Significantly enhanced integration tools. For example, Automatic Queue Processing has been retooled as an always-on service that provides a strong platform to integrate CAD, PLM, EDMS, ERP or other systems for both printing and document import.
• New system administrator reports to track estimated media costs for better print job accounting.
• A new print submission software development kit. This API (Application Programming Interface) enables Océ professional services and third party systems integrators to tightly integrate Océ Engineering Exec software into a business’ operation.
WhatTheyThink is the global printing industry's leading independent media organization with both print and digital offerings, including WhatTheyThink.com, PrintingNews.com and WhatTheyThink magazine versioned with a Printing News and Wide-Format & Signage edition. Our mission is to provide cogent news and analysis about trends, technologies, operations, and events in all the markets that comprise today’s printing and sign industries including commercial, in-plant, mailing, finishing, sign, display, textile, industrial, finishing, labels, packaging, marketing technology, software and workflow.