Extensis Announces Portfolio 6 For Creative Professionals
Press release from the issuing company
SAN FRANCISCO--Jan. 7, 2002--Extensis today announced the release of Portfolio 6, a major upgrade to Extensis' award-winning Digital Asset Management (DAM) solution.
Portfolio 6 is the fastest way for professionals to share, organize, retrieve and distribute the digital files they create and use on a regular basis. Portfolio enables users to create compelling visual catalogs that can be shared over a network or published on the web. Extensis is located in booth number 2217.
"Even the most powerful DAM solution will break down if people don't want -- and like -- to use it,'' said Joseph Schorr, Portfolio product manager for Extensis. "With Portfolio, we've created a system that integrates seamlessly with the creative desktop -- a system that people will really want to use. We believe this product will radically change the way people think about asset management.''
Portfolio 6 is the only asset management system that seamlessly combines the visual approach of an image catalog with the management and distribution tools of the operating system, making it easier for users to share, organize, and publish digital images. Working seamlessly in dual environments provides users and workgroups to work in unison without confusion over where and how to access files. The new FolderSync feature for example, can copy, move or delete files without leaving the Portfolio environment. Conversely, items moved on a network or local machine are tracked in Portfolio, so that visual catalogs are perfectly synchronized with actual files on disk.
"A good DAM system is flexible enough to adapt to the working style of its users -- not force them into a rigid, predefined workflow,'' said Schorr. "Our goal with Portfolio 6 was to accommodate the working style of even the most free-spirited creative professionals.''
Another unique component is the Portfolio Express Palette, which offers instant visual access to cataloged files directly from the creative environment, or from anywhere on the user's system. At any point, when designing a web page, writing an E-mail, or creating a presentation, a user is only one keystroke away from access to a Portfolio catalog, a search for a specific image and copying it into a document simply by dragging it from the floating palette.
Portfolio 6 has added features for helping users publish or distribute files. The Collect & Publish feature automatically collects and catalogs files for CD distribution, it even lets users create a stand-alone browser application on the fly. By using the new Create Web Pages command, users can convert catalogs into web pages based on one of several freely distributed templates that are professionally-designed, or users can create their own. Additionally, Portfolio works seamlessly with a user's default E-mail program to send electronic images as E-mail attachments directly from Portfolio.
New Features in Portfolio 6:
* FolderSync -- Provides seamless integration with the existing file system by linking Portfolio catalogs to actual folders on disk, keeping them synchronized.
* Portfolio Express Palette -- Floating palette brings the digital library of files directly into the creative environment, providing instant access to files from anywhere on the users system.
* Create Web Pages -- Using preexisting, professionally-designed templates, web pages are built based on a users catalog contents with a few simple steps.
* Collect & Publish -- Automatically collects images, linking them to a new catalog and generating a browser in which to view the catalog.
* Instant Cataloging -- Allows users to select any file, folder or disk and instantly catalog it into the Portfolio system.
* Elegant New Interface -- A streamlined, revamped toolbar and other refinements.
* Batch Renaming and Keywording -- New cataloging option can rename files, add keywords, and fill in other field values on the fly as items are catalogued.
* Auto Move/Copy -- New cataloging option copies or moves files into a new directory as they are cataloged.
* Saved Views -- Save and apply customized view attributes such as fonts, colors, and borders to any gallery.
* Power Field Editor -- A new window lets users add, append, replace or delete values from any field with unprecedented ease.
* Custom QuickFind -- Performs find function across any user-defined combination of fields from within main catalog window.
* Send via E-mail -- E-mail assets from within Portfolio, using the sender's default E-mail client.
* Rotate Original -- Changes orientation of original JPEGs, not just the thumbnails.
* EXIF Support -- Imports data stored in images created with digital cameras.
Pricing and Availability
The English version of Portfolio 6 will be available for download from the Extensis web site in February 2002. Portfolio 6 is available for a suggested retail price starting at $199.95US for full product, $69.95 -- $129.95US for upgrades from previous versions of Portfolio; competitive upgrades at $129.95US. Portfolio Server is available starting at a suggested retail price of $2499.95US, including 5 free copies of Portfolio 6 for Macintosh. French, German and Japanese language product will be available in the first half of 2002.
WhatTheyThink is the global printing industry's leading independent media organization with both print and digital offerings, including WhatTheyThink.com, PrintingNews.com and WhatTheyThink magazine versioned with a Printing News and Wide-Format & Signage edition. Our mission is to provide cogent news and analysis about trends, technologies, operations, and events in all the markets that comprise today’s printing and sign industries including commercial, in-plant, mailing, finishing, sign, display, textile, industrial, finishing, labels, packaging, marketing technology, software and workflow.