Avery Dennison Reports 4Q Results, Earnings Up 12%
Press release from the issuing company
PASADENA, Calif. - Avery Dennison Corporation (NYSE/PCX:AVY) today reported fourth quarter 2000 and year-end financial results, announcing that annual sales and earnings reached record high levels.
"The Company posted another year of record financial performance, despite a weakening domestic economy and a declining Euro," said Philip M. Neal, chairman and chief executive officer of Avery Dennison. "Sales grew more than 7 percent, before the impact of currency exchange rates, and we achieved our ninth consecutive year of double-digit earnings-per-share growth.
"We enter 2001 well prepared to address the challenges of a slowing domestic economy with continued investment and focus on top-line growth and productivity improvement," said Neal.
Financial highlights for the fourth quarter:
* Earnings per share, on a diluted basis, grew to $.69, an increase of 3 percent over the prior year's fourth quarter earnings of $.67 per share.
* Net income remained essentially unchanged at $67.5 million, compared with $67.3 million in the prior year quarter.
* Reported sales decreased by 1.2 percent to $933.1 million, compared with $944.8 million a year ago. Excluding the impact of currency exchange rates, sales grew 4.2 percent during the quarter.
* Unit volume increased 5.2 percent over the same period a year ago.
* Operating margin declined 30 basis points from the same period in the prior year to 11.9 percent.
* The effective tax rate for the quarter was 31.1 percent to adjust the year-to-date tax rate to 33.5 percent.
Unit volume growth in international operations was solid for both the Consumer and Converted Products and Pressure-sensitive Adhesives and Materials sectors. Domestic unit volume growth was flat in both sectors.
WhatTheyThink is the global printing industry's leading independent media organization with both print and digital offerings, including WhatTheyThink.com, PrintingNews.com and WhatTheyThink magazine versioned with a Printing News and Wide-Format & Signage edition. Our mission is to provide cogent news and analysis about trends, technologies, operations, and events in all the markets that comprise today’s printing and sign industries including commercial, in-plant, mailing, finishing, sign, display, textile, industrial, finishing, labels, packaging, marketing technology, software and workflow.