Heidelberg Previews "Don't Miss Technologies" For Print ‘05
Press release from the issuing company
KENNESAW, Ga., June 22, 2005 – Demonstrating its strength as the premiere provider of printing solutions for the graphic arts industry, Heidelberg will display the latest equipment and technologies designed to make printers successful at PRINT ’05. Today, the company is previewing its “don’t miss technologies,” which will be housed in five key solution areas of the Heidelberg booth at PRINT ’05 in Chicago from September 9 - 15, 2005.
In keeping with its commitment to equip today’s printers with cutting-edge technologies that will decrease makeready and boost their bottom line, Heidelberg will unveil new advancements in automation and integration at PRINT ‘05. These new product features and offerings are designed to give printers an edge on the competition and help them capitalize on new market opportunities. The new equipment and technologies will be displayed in five key solution areas of the Heidelberg booth, including Prinect Solutions, Quick Print Solutions, Industrial Print Solutions, Commercial Print Solutions and Packaging Solutions. Among the solutions featured in the booth are the following:
Prinect Solutions Center:
- Prinect Prinance 4.5 – For reliable estimating and order management, the Prinect Prinance Print Management System integrates all workflow processes in a print shop. The newest version, Prinect Prinance 4.5, will be incorporated into Heidelberg’s Prinect Experience at PRINT ’05. The new software features a JDF integrator, Web extension, remote Request For Quote (RFQ) and on-line ordering.
- Prinect Printready 2.1 with MetaDimension - The Prinect Printready System with MetaDimension from Heidelberg maximizes the level of automation, integration and local
processing in a print shop and sets a new standard for prepress. The newly upgraded version, Prinect Printready 2.1, incorporates improved JDF handling and MIS integration via a new JDF Autogate.
- Prinect Data Control – Prinect Data Control is Heidelberg’s centralized production server for the modern, networked print shop. As a central component of the Prinect networking concept, Prinect Data Control connects production systems and creates an open system to form an integrated solution for print shop planning and control. The server offers production planning through a highly sophisticated electronic planning board, as well as on-line and off-line shop floor data collection for accurate production reporting and analysis.
- Prinect Color Solutions - Prinect Color Solutions is a fully integrated, closed-loop color control system between press and prepress systems designed to optimize press efficiency and reduce makeready. An optimized pressroom that is synchronized with the prepress workflow can provide the highest efficiency in terms of reduced makeready, the ability to monitor production quality and the flexibility to react swiftly to changing production conditions. Prinect Color Solutions provides all of these benefits and more through a combination of products, services and training offerings.
- Prinect Signa Station 1.5 – The new version of Prinect Signa Station from Prinect Color Solutions enables fast, reliable and convenient impositioning and sheet assembly. Prinect Signa Station 1.5 is equipped with an intuitive interface, easy-to-use tools and a reliable impositioning concept in which the folded sheet and print sheet are separated from each other, ensuring maximum flexibility. The product also includes a new Sheet Optimizer that enables efficient print sheet assignment and allows for multiple one-ups on a sheet.
- Prinect Experience – Prominently featured in Heidelberg’s booth at PRINT ’05, Prinect Experience will bring JDF to life. The experience includes a series of eight integrated workstations that will demonstrate how printers can employ CIM for highly efficient print production while leveraging existing equipment. As part of the tour, Heidelberg will demonstrate the Prinect portfolio in the following core areas: Prinect Management Solutions, Prinect Production Solutions and Prinect Color Solutions.
Quick Print Solutions Center:
- Quickmaster QM DI ProSpot – The Quickmaster QM DI with new ProSpot technology are offers high print quality coupled with the ability to handle short print runs cost-effectively. These features enable users to tap into new customer potential and create distinct competitive advantages for their business. In production mode, the Quickmaster QM DI ProSpot reaches a speed of up to 10,000 sheets per hour. Short runs of up to 500 sheets are completed in less than 20 minutes, including makeready. Digital data is loaded directly into the press via the Prinect CP2000 Center and production is streamlined by the automatic plate changing unit and a highly functional feeder. A QM DI ProSpot equipped with oscillating form rollers and Remote Service will be on display at PRINT ’05 in Heidelberg’s Quick Print Solutions Center.
- Printmaster PM 52-5-P – Representing the ideal route to growth for small- and medium-sized businesses that produce a wide range of commercial print jobs, the Printmaster PM 52 handles a broad spectrum of jobs and stocks. Proven features include the SM 52-like suction tape feeder, Alcolor continuous dampening system, high-volume inking unit and EasyPlate plate clamping system with positioning run for simple, fast plate changing. A new automatic inking unit wash-up device further expands the capabilities of this press. A five-color Printmaster PM 52 with fully automated perfector will be running in Heidelberg’s Quick Print Solutions center at the show.
Industrial Print Solutions Center:
- Speedmaster CD 74-8-P+L – At PRINT ’05, Heidelberg will present the eight-color Speedmaster CD 74 with perfector and coater to the international market. Designed for high-end printers in industrial, commercial and packaging, the Speedmaster CD 74 produces short and long runs at top speed. This user-friendly and highly automated press offers cost advantages through speed and flexibility. The new eight-color CD 74 can print runs of four-over-four plus coating with the highest quality and productivity. Designed on the basis of the well-proven Heidelberg 3-drum perfecting device, this revolutionary new perfector allows perfecting without limits in regards to stock thickness. For the CD 74, this system is combined with the innovative sheet travel concept to give the press unsurpassed flexibility.
- Speedmaster SM 102-10-P with Perfecting Coating System and CutStar - Customer-oriented solutions and its proven sheet-reversing technology make the Speedmaster SM 102 an ideal, highly productive press for commercial printers. The SM 102 prints double-sided five-color jobs in a single pass with the highest print quality in perfecting mode. The press also allows double-sided four-color printing sealed with an aqueous coat on both sides of the sheet. This coat serves as an overall protection coat allowing almost instantaneous processing into the bindery or as a reasonable gloss coat enhancing the appearance and quality of use of the final product. The optional CutStar sheeter is a useful and profitable investment for commercial printers with perfecting presses and for label printers, providing maximum flexibility and significant cost savings in reel stock alone. A ten-color Speedmaster SM 102 with perfector, Perfecting Coating System and CutStar real-to-sheet feeder will be on display in Heidelberg’s Industrial Print Solutions center.
- POLAR Fully Automated Cutting System (PACE) – PACE is the industry’s first fully automated cutting system from POLAR. The machine is capable of operating on its own, incorporating loading, jogging, buffering, cutting, gripping, transporting and unloading to produce the highest-quality finished projects in the industry with the least amount of human intervention. PACE increases productivity, lowers costs and reduces waste. Separate elements of PACE’s technology can be employed to streamline other production runs and requirements. Printing houses, converters of printed material, paper manufactures and print buyers interested in utilizing every inch of material benefit from the automated cutting function of the machine.
- Stitchmaster ST 400-8CFF – The Stitchmaster ST 400 is a computerized, fully-automated saddle stitcher designed to meet increasing customer demands for shorter turn- around times and higher productivity. Automated manual processes with computer-driven stepping motors give the operator more control over the functionality of the ST 400. The computer-enhanced makeready procedures with independent servo drive motors reduce makeready by up to 50 percent. The ST 400 uses a user-friendly Windows interface with operator guidance via touch-screen, which simplifies operation and allows the machine to be integrated into a complete, end-to-end business workflow with data reporting.
Commercial Print Solutions Center:
- Speedmaster SM 52-5+LX – Setting the industry standard in the 20-inch format class, the Speedmaster SM 52 with coater and extended delivery offers superior in-line finishing capabilities. The coating unit featuring the proven two-roller system from Heidelberg ensures that coating is applied evenly over the entire sheet. The dryer DryStar Combination, integrated into the extended high-pile delivery, allows for optimum drying at speeds up to 15,000 sheets per hour. The Speedmaster SM 52 is available with optional UV inks and UV coating applications. PRINT attendees can watch demonstrations of the latest developments in coating and drying on a five-color SM 52 in the Commercial Print Solutions center in Heidelberg’s booth.
- Speedmaster SM 52-8-P – The Speedmaster SM 52 is the first press of its format class to be available in the U.S. with eight printing units, expanding the one-pass-productivity in the 2-up format. This top-of-the-line press features the ultimate level of automation and ease of use. Several innovations, including special air panels in the delivery that allow high-coverage printing on both sides without gutters, help produce the highest quality print results. This year, Heidelberg's booth features an eight-color Speedmaster SM 52 with perfector and Axis Control.
- Speedmaster SM 74-6-P+L – The Speedmaster SM 74 is the ultimate perfecting machine for producing commercial print jobs in the half-size format. The press can be equipped with two to 10 printing units, a perfecting device and an optional coating unit. For highest productivity, the SM 74 can be integrated completely into a digital workflow system. A six-color Speedmaster SM 74 with perfector and coater will be on display in Heidelberg’s Commercial Print Solutions center.
- TH 66 6/4/4 Stahlfolder – The Stahlfolder TH 66 is a member of the new generation of folders that made its North American debut at Graph Expo 2004. This buckle-plate folder offers exceptional folding quality and shorter makeready, and is available in widths of 56, 66 and 82 cm. The modular design concept allows applications to be retrofitted for virtually all hardware features to suit individual requirements for easy integration into existing workflows. Optional automation features, such as automated fold roller settings and motorized buckle plates, integrate and significantly reduce folder makeready times. The machine is controlled by a touch-screen monitor with an automatic learning mode to guide operators through the process of setting up new jobs.
- KH 82 KZLR Stahlfolder – The KH 82 Stahlfolder provides the forward-thinking printer with a highly productive and economical folding solution that is ideal for signatures. The smaller footprint flexible feeder solution makes the KH folder a true one-operator folder at a lower investment level usually required for signature folding.
- Stahlfolder TA 52 – Ideally suited for short and shortest runs, the new Stahlfolder TA 52 in the 20-inch format is easy to operate. Standard features include automated side guide settings, automated fold roller settings and buckle plate settings in all stations. The TA 52 is equipped with the Stahlfolder extra-grip fold rollers that maintain fold quality. An array of folding impositions can be extended with an optional small-format folding attachment.
Packaging Solutions Center:
- Speedmaster XL 105-6+L – Taking center stage in Heidelberg’s booth at PRINT ’05 is the newest member of the Speedmaster family of sheetfed offset presses: the Speedmaster XL 105. As the first press in an entirely new “Maximum Performance Class,” the XL 105 sets the industry standard for the fastest makereadies, the highest real production speeds and the top level of printing quality. The XL 105 allows high-end commercial print shops as well as packaging and label printers to become more cost-effective. Multiple-up printers particularly will appreciate the largest format class that Heidelberg offers with an imaging area of 740 * 1050 mm / 29.13 * 41.34 in. The tight Prinect integration, ease of use and automation of the Speedmaster XL 105 allows users to drastically reduce makeready. These benefits, combined with the maximum speed of 18,000 iph that can be achieved on a wide variety of substrates, boost productivity significantly, making the Speedmaster XL 105 the most productive press on the market. The innovative Hycolor unit and combined inking and dampening system on the press significantly increase the amount of ink transferred. Specifically designed to ensure the highest level of print quality possible at maximum speeds, the Hycolor unit increases densities up to 30 percent without compromising on dot-gain and enlarges the reproducible color gamut. The press will be housed in the “XL 105 Theater,” just outside Heidelberg’s Packaging Solutions area.
- POLAR Autojog – Making its North American debut at this year’s PRINT, POLAR Autojog mimics the human hands to arrange sheets and move on and off skids. Designed for label makers and general commercial printers, Autojog reduces labor, offers consistent flow, streamlines constant production and increases production capacity.
- Dymatrix 106 CSB – Built to deliver first class die-cutting and embossing, the Dymatrix 106 CSB offers high quality, versatility and greater flexibility to multi-purpose commercial printers. The high-speed die-cutter will be revealed to the North American market at PRINT ’05 and will be housed in Heidelberg’s Packaging Solutions center. With tighter registration, the Dymatrix can handle a broad range of stocks from light-weight to board varieties, and sheets have fewer disturbances because of the constant sheet travel.
- ECO 105 folder-gluer – An entry-level model, the ECO 105 folding carton gluer boasts exceptional ease of operation and long service life while yielding a fast return on a small investment. Designed to handle all major and specialty carton types, the ECO 105 is flexible in terms of applications and quick to change over. The system has easy set up and fast makeready for cost-effective processing.
To view these solutions and learn more about Heidelberg equipment and technologies on display at PRINT ’05, visit the Heidelberg booth # 1200.
WhatTheyThink is the global printing industry's go-to information source with both print and digital offerings, including WhatTheyThink.com, WhatTheyThink Email Newsletters, and the WhatTheyThink magazine. Our mission is to inform, educate, and inspire the industry. We provide cogent news and analysis about trends, technologies, operations, and events in all the markets that comprise today's printing and sign industries including commercial, in-plant, mailing, finishing, sign, display, textile, industrial, finishing, labels, packaging, marketing technology, software and workflow.