GretagMacbeth ProfileMaker 4.1 for Mac OS X Demonstrated at Seybold
Press release from the issuing company
SAN FRANCISCO, CA; September 20, 2002 --GretagMacbeth, the worldwide technological leader in color measurement and management solutions, announced ProfileMaker Professional 4.1, a comprehensive, high-end color management software for Mac OS X. It was demonstrated at Seybold San Francisco and announced last week.
This latest version of ProfileMaker provides a wealth of new features, including enhancements for profiling desktop and wide-format inkjet printers. This major update is free to all registered ProfileMaker 4.0 users and is now available for downloading at http://www.gretagmacbeth.com.
“ProfileMaker has been the most comprehensive profiling solution on the market, and the enhancements in version 4.1 make it even easier to create accurate and reliable profiles for input devices, monitors, and color output devices. Specifically, ProfileMaker addresses the physical aspects in printer consumables than can cause ‘yellow cast’ issues and also provides compensation for metameric issues.” says Thomas Senn, Vice President Digital Imaging at GretagMacbeth. “ProfileMaker 4.1’s support for Mac OS X ensures that professionals using the Mac can perform color management with optimal results for a full range of digital devices.”
“Apple’s ColorSync is tightly integrated with Mac OS X, enabling users to color manage their workflow instantly from capture to display to print,” said Ron Okamoto, Apple’s vice president of Worldwide Developer Relations. “Color management with ColorSync and GretagMacbeth’s color calibration tools is essential for color professionals in the Mac community, and we’re excited to have ProfileMaker 4.1 available for Mac OS X.”
What’s new in ProfileMaker 4.1
ProfileMaker 4.1 provides enhancements in four main areas. It addresses problems associated with the perceptual effects caused by inkjet printing systems using pigmented inks and problems arising from color cast effects in gray balances caused by the use of papers with optical brighteners. It includes a series of new test charts to improve RGB and CMYK printer profiles of non-linear printing systems as well as newly designed Eye-One IT8.7/3 and Eye-One Multicolor targets for use with the Eye-One spectrophotometer in scan mode. ProfileMaker 4.1 now supports both Mac OS X and the Classic environment. In addition, online help has been enhanced providing support in English, German, Japanese, French, Italian, and Spanish languages.
ProfileMaker 4.1 New Features
- Correct Optical Brightener function solves problems with yellow cast caused by papers with optical brighteners enabling profiles to compensate for the difference between the human eye and colorimetry
- Preserve Gray Plus and Papergray Plus functions provide improved detail in dark tones when creating printer profiles using perceptual rendering
- View Light Source function provides selectable and user definable observation light sources that are calculated into profiles to compensate for metamerism issues on inkjet prints prepared with pigmented inks'
- Automatic detection and correction of optical brightener in printer profiles
- A TC2.88 RGB.tif file and an additional large RGB test chart (TC9.18 RGB.tif) improve printer profile generation for non-linear RGB printing systems
- A large CMYK-test chart (ECI2002.tif) improves printer profile generation for non-linear CMYK printing systems
- Mac version fully supports both Mac OS X and Mac OS Classic.
- Mac version is based on a new structure and subdivided into bundles ensuring the same application structure under both Mac OS X and Mac OS Classic.
- An iCColor-usable IT8.7/3 test chart for creating ICC profiles
- All MultiColor test charts are now available for the Eye-One
- Support for the Color Exchange Format (CxF) in the MeasureTool, ColorPicker and ProfileMaker modules
- A new reference file (
eference filesothersCMYK Media Wedge Reference.txt) for the FOGRA CMYK media wedge enabling automatic measurement of this media wedge
- Online Help enhanced to support in English, German, French, Italian, Spanish and Japanese languages
- Enhanced support of spectral data within the ProfileMaker applications
- Miscellaneous usability enhancements and big fixes
About ProfileMaker Professional
ProfileMaker Professional is a modular software system for color professionals that works on both Mac (including OS Classic and OS X) and Windows platforms right out of the box. The software’s modules uniquely correspond to the various tasks in a typical color management workflow. Together they provide a tightly integrated solution that gives color professionals complete control over the creation of accurate and reliable profiles for the full range of input devices, monitors, and color output devices in use today. ProfileMaker modules include:
ProfileMaker 4.1 Professional: ProfileMaker, ProfileEditor, ColorPicker and MeasureTool. (Multicolor and Digital Camera modules sold separately.)
ProfileMaker Monitor: Create ICC profiles for flat panel and CRT displays
ProfileMaker Input: Create ICC profiles for scanners
ProfileMaker Editor: Edit and view ICC profiles and ICC workflows
ProfileMaker Output: Create ICC profiles for RGB and CMYK output devices ProfileMaker ColorPicker: Conversion of spot colors
GretagMacbeth provides a comprehensive, integrated single-source solution for selecting, matching, measuring, formulating, managing, evaluating and communicating color in industries ranging from paints, plastics, textiles, inks and packaging to digital imaging, graphic arts, desktop publishing and printing. Our full line of color control and management tools include spectrophotometers, densitometers, color quality control and color formulation software, profiling software, standardized lighting, color standards, white reflectance coating, training, calibration and certification services.
GretagMacbeth, headquartered in Regensdorf, Switzerland, maintains offices in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, France, Hong Kong SAR, Thailand and the Philippines. GretagMacbeth trains and supports customers worldwide and is an ISO-9001 certified company.
For additional information in the United States and Canada, please call 845-565-7660, in Europe, please call +41 1 842 24 00 or visit our web sites at www.i1color.com or www.gretagmacbeth.com.
WhatTheyThink is the global printing industry's leading independent media organization with both print and digital offerings, including WhatTheyThink.com, PrintingNews.com and WhatTheyThink magazine versioned with a Printing News and Wide-Format & Signage edition. Our mission is to provide cogent news and analysis about trends, technologies, operations, and events in all the markets that comprise today’s printing and sign industries including commercial, in-plant, mailing, finishing, sign, display, textile, industrial, finishing, labels, packaging, marketing technology, software and workflow.