Converted Paper Product Manufacturing Establishments—2016
By WhatTheyThink Staff
Published: July 26, 2019
In our ongoing, semi-weekly look at establishment and employee counts of graphic arts businesses, we have been focusing on print-/media-buying establishments and, before that, printing establishments. We now turn our focus to packaging/paper converting establishments. This NAICS includes paper-based packaging converters (sans flexible packaging) as well as other kinds of paper converting businesses, such as stationery as well as sanitary paper products (which are nothing to sneeze at…).
The broadest packaging-related NAICS is 3222 (Converted Paper Product Manufacturing) and in 2016, the most recent year for which County Business Patterns has data, there were 3,638 establishments. These kinds of establishments tend to be fairly large; 42% have 50 or more employees and two-thirds (65%) have 20 or more employees. Only about one-third (35%) have under 20 employees.
Over the next few months, we’ll dig deeper into NAICS 3222 and its sub-divisions.
NAICS 3222 is divided into the following sub-categories:
- 32221 Paperboard Container Manufacturing
- 322211 Corrugated and Solid Fiber Box Manufacturing
- 322212 Folding Paperboard Box Manufacturing
- 322219 Other Paperboard Container Manufacturing
- 32222 Paper Bag and Coated and Treated Paper Manufacturing
- 322220 Paper Bag and Coated and Treated Paper Manufacturing
- 32223 Stationery Product Manufacturing
- 322230 Stationery Product Manufacturing
- 32229 Other Converted Paper Product Manufacturing
- 322291 Sanitary Paper Product Manufacturing
- 322299 All Other Converted Paper Product Manufacturing
As we did with commercial print and creative businesses, we’ll look at historical establishment counts, employment figures, and other data.
These establishment counts are based on data from the Census Bureau’s County Business Patterns. These data, like other demographic data, can be used not only for business planning and forecasting, but also sales and marketing resource allocation.