San Luis Obispo – Cal Poly’s Graphic Communication Department has announced the lineup for its 2011 International Printing Week, set for Jan. 25-28.
The theme of the four-day event is “Graphic Communication – The Production of Knowledge.” The program will include seminars by industry leaders, laboratory dedications, demonstrations, a career fair, a banquet and the department’s winter advisory board meeting. All seminars and demonstrations are conducted on campus. Industry members are invited to attend the seminars.
“This event, celebrating Benjamin Franklin’s birthday and his great contributions to our profession, is an annual highlight at Cal Poly,” said Harvey Levenson, head of the Graphic Communication Department. “It is a time for our students and guests to hear from some of our industry’s leaders on issues of management, technology and trends. It is also an opportunity to honor companies and individuals that have supported graphic communication education at Cal Poly over the past year. This event is a gift to our industry and supporters and all those responsible for the production of knowledge through graphic communication technology innovation and application.”
EFI, EskoArtwork, Kodak, Ricoh and RR Donnelley are sponsoring the event. Here’s what’s in store:
* Tuesday, Jan 25 – Design Reproduction Technology and Packaging Day
Speakers on design technology for print and websites and on packaging technologies including printable electronics, conventionally and digitally produced labels and packages, designing and packaging for sustainable practices. Specific topics include:
- Solutions for photography, retouching and CGI, with XYZ Graphics
- Life on the Road: The Joys and Pitfalls of Technical Support in the Packaging Industry, with EskoArtwork and Anderson & Vreeland
- Graphic Communication Alumni Panel, including discussion of industry experiences and visions, with EskoArtwork, iiiDesign, Kraftwerk Design and LEVEL Studios
- Battle of the Concentrations Game, with Frank Romano
- Trends in Labels, with WS Packaging
- Marketing on the Universal Citywalk
* Wednesday, Jan. 26
– Morning: Gravure Day, with speakers on publication, packaging and specialty gravure products; technical applications; management issues related to lean manufacturing and costs; and predicting the future of printing. Includes presentations by Flint, Quad/Graphics, QuadTech and RR Donnelley.
– Afternoon: Technology, featuring Quick Response Codes (QR) with Goss International; and other tech topics.
* Thursday, Jan. 27
– Dedication Day, featuring Dow Jones, Manugraph DGM, Baldwin Technologies for web press upgrade; EskoArtwork for software Kongsberg iCut; FujiFilm for consumables; Heidelberg for Polar JDF compliant Polar Cutter; Hewlett Packard for Indigo ws4000 web press; Kodak for consumables; Goss International for GossRSVP QR licenses, and Xanté for Ilumina Digital Production Press.
– Banquet, 6 p.m., Embassy Suites in San Luis Obispo. Reception runs 6 to 7 p.m., followed by dinner and program from 7 to 9 p.m. There will be recognition of donors; scholarship plaque presentations with Terry Bell, George Prue and Paul Kissel; and speaker Frank Romano, an industry leader and RIT professor emeritus. Cost is $75.
* Friday, Jan 28
– Career Day, with company exhibits from 9 a.m. to noon and interviews from 1 to 5 p.m. for full-time employment or internships. Visit www.grc.calpoly.edu/career/index.html for additional information.
– Graphic Communication Department Advisory Board meeting, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
More details on the event are available from the Graphic Communication Department. For general information, contact Department Head Harvey Levenson at 805-756-6151 or [email protected] For information on the Jan. 27 banquet, contact Andrea Nash at 805-756-1108 or [email protected] For more on career day, contact: Lyndee Sing at 805-756-2645 or [email protected]; Brian Lawler at 805-756-1107 or [email protected]; or Alexis White at 805-756-1108 or [email protected]