Flexible Film Coders Improve Efficiency and Deliver Higher Performance Prints
Wednesday, October 02, 2019
Press release from the issuing company
Line extension to SmartDate® thermal transfer overprinters (TTO) aids process improvement initiatives via in-built tool to track packaging line downtime while improved user interface provides quicker, customized access to production metrics and tasks. Printing up to 455 packs per minute (ppm), versus an industry average of 120-160 ppm, is now possible.
Flexible film is a popular packaging format for food, cosmetics, pharmaceutical and building products. Today’s launch of 3 TTO coders, with new-to-market functionality, makes it quicker to code these surfaces, while improving costs by providing deeper insights into production downtime and minimizing mistakes.
Greater operational efficiency: SmartDate X45, X65 and X65-128
- MI Sigma: For the first time ever in the TTO market, coders come with a built-in process improvement tool. Once enabled, packaging line downtime reasons can be logged and analyzed, facilitating data-driven decision-making.
- Relative motion: This unique-to-market feature ensures codes are printed fully even if the packaging material stops halfway through the print for some reason.
- Quickest access to the most key performance indicators in TTO market: Home screen views customizable to show up to 5 KPIs, from over 17 options.
- Fewer clicks to complete tasks versus competitor coders: Simplified pathway decreases time and scope for operator error when making adjustments.
- Large touchscreen: The 25.6-centimeter (10.1 inch) size improves legibility.
- Embedded video tutorials and “how to” modules: Step-by-step guides make daily operations quicker and more efficient.
Higher performance prints: SmartDate X65 and X65-128
- Speed: The SmartDate X65 can print at 1,800 millimeters (mm) per second to deliver 455 ppm at 300 dpi, surpassing an industry average of 120-160 ppm.
- Wide area printing: The SmartDate X65-128 achieves 400 ppm across an area up to 128 mm x 500 mm to deliver twice the variable print versus standard coders. It cuts costs and time when printing multiple codes on multi-lane lines and during late stage customization which can include nutritional and allergen details.
Along with the other cost and quality benefits offered by the SmartDate range
- Dead-dot detection: Forewarning of missing dots lets operators make adjustments before printing problematic codes.
- Code checking: The Detect-Plus add-on confirms code presence, position and quality on the product film directly, as opposed to competing solutions which check the printing impression on the ribbon and not on the pack.
- Best-in-class consumables: Ribbons available for all materials with base coating to maximize print contrast for better durability and legibility, while delivering up to 15% more codes per roll than other options.
Availability of the coders will vary by market and evolve over time. To enquire about a specific country, please contact Markem-Imaje for the most up-to-date information.
An animation describing the offering is available at: https://youtu.be/7kC5xbtvae8
To post a comment Log In or Become a Member, doing so is simple and free