Bitstream launches updated MyFonts
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Press release from the issuing companyCAMBRIDGE, MA -- MyFonts, the world's leading online provider of fonts, announced today that it has launched a new version of its famous website for finding, identifying, and buying fonts from a range of type foundries and designers.
The new website, which is still in development, is now accessible to the general public at new.myfonts.com.
This update represents the first major overhaul to the site since 2002. It aims to improve both appearance and ease of use, while keeping MyFonts a fun place to visit, browse, identify, find, research, compare, try, and buy fonts.
Included in this update are new features designed to help users find the fonts they are looking for, and to help them discover new fonts. These features include:
- The use of "tags" or descriptive keywords applied to fonts by users. These tags help group similar fonts and help users to easily find the fonts they are looking for.
- An expanded "What's New" feature that provides daily updates on the latest additions to the MyFonts collection.
- Hot New Fonts gives users a list of the most popular new fonts
- A "Surprise Me" link which takes the user to a random font page, giving users a fun way to discover new fonts.
- An enhanced Test Drive that supports OpenType features such as ligatures, small caps, alternate figures etc.
The site continues to support the fun and helpful features users have come accustomed to, including the WhatTheFont font identifier, searching by categories such as script or sans-serif, searching by languages supported by the font, and browsing the best sellers list.
MyFonts' dramatic improvement in appearance was further enhanced by a newly developed logo. The logo was designed by the Dutch-German-Finnish design studio Underware, whose innovative typefaces, such as Sauna and Bello, have won them fans the world over and whose recent corporate design jobs include the new Daimler logo.
To access the new site, existing MyFonts users can simply click on the link at the top of any MyFonts page. The old site will continue to be available for use during the transition period for those who wish to try it later.
New users will see the new website automatically.
"Tests of the new site with selected users and participating foundries have been overwhelmingly positive" stated John Collins, Chief Technology Officer and Vice-President of Bitstream. "With the new design, MyFonts expects to solidify its already strong position as the leading provider of the world's fonts from one easy-to-use website."
Copyright © 2016 WhatTheyThink. All Rights Reserved