Mohawk Releases Fourth Issues of Mohawk Maker Quarterly andCraft Cooperative
Wednesday, June 04, 2014
With a focus on community, publications are enhanced with augmented reality technology and printed on Mohawk Via
Cohoes, NY – Mohawk, North America’s largest privately-owned manufacturer of fine papers, envelopes and specialty substrates for commercial and digital printing, announces the release of the fourth issues of the Mohawk Maker Quarterly and Mohawk Craft Cooperative.
The Mohawk Maker Quarterly and Mohawk Craft Cooperative publications are designed to celebrate an emerging maker culture and are enhanced with additional content made possible through Mohawk Live, Mohawk’s augmented reality app.
The fourth issues of the Mohawk Maker Quarterly and the Mohawk Craft Cooperative focus on the importance of community, recognizing that partnerships are essential to furthering the interests of craftspeople.
The publications are printed on Mohawk Via, which is known as the best selling premium uncoated paper in America.
The Mohawk Maker Quarterly
Mohawk believes that partnership is essential to furthering the interests of makers, and the Mohawk Maker Quarterly is a vehicle to support this community of like-minded individuals. Content focuses on stories of small manufacturers, artisans, printers, designers and artists who are making their way in the midst of the digital revolution.
Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue No. 04 focuses on the topic of community and profiles the following makers:
- 826 National, Nonprofit organization offering programs that provide under-resourced students with opportunities to explore their creativity and improve their writing skills, San Francisco, CA
- Blurb, Inc., the world’s first platform for creating, printing, and publishing beautiful, bookstore-quality independent books, San Francisco, CA
- SF Center for the Book, Community resources for everything book related, San Francisco, CA
- TED Fellows, Innovators and trailblazers from across disciplines, Worldwide
- Brooklyn Boulders, Rock climbing & collaborative workspace, Brooklyn, NY
- ADX, Supportive community of thinkers and makers, Portland, OR
- La Cocina, Shared incubator kitchen for food-oriented small businesses, San Francisco, CA
- West Coast Craft Fair, An extraordinary gathering of West Coast makers, San Francisco, CA
- Heritage Bicycles, Custom-made bicycle shop turned café, Chicago, IL
- Artists’ Book Cooperative, Artists passionate about self-publishing, Worldwide
- Virtue Cider, Artisan producer supporting small farmers, Fernville, MI
- Make Smith Leather Co., Family-owned leatherworking business, Santa Barbara, CA
- Paper Chase Press, Multiple generations creating well-crafted papergoods, Los Angeles, CA
To demonstrate the beauty and range of options available within the Mohawk Via grade, Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue No. 04 is printed on a variety of finishes, including:
- Felt, Pure White, 70 Text (pages 1, 2, 19 & 20),
- Linen, Pure White, 80 Text (pages 3, 4, 17 & 18)
- Satin, Pure White, 80 Text (pages 5, 6, 15 & 16)
- Vellum, Pure White, 70 Text (pages 7, 8, 13 & 14)
- Smooth, Pure White, 70 Text (pages 9, 10, 11 & 12)
The Mohawk Maker Quarterly issue No. 04 was designed by Hybrid Design, San Francisco, CA, and printed using four color process by Sandy Alexander, Clifton, NJ.
The Mohawk Craft Cooperative
The Mohawk Craft Cooperative is a quarterly publication designed to appeal to printers by restoring printers’ belief in the power of craftsmanship in the midst of a digital world.
The publication features strategies on growing business through community, tips to harness the power of community, and thoughts from industry leaders, including Frank Romano. Professor Emeritus, Rochester Institute of Technology, and Sean Adams, Partner, AdamsMorioka.
A tabloid-style publication, with fold out brochure, The Mohawk Craft Cooperative, issue No. 04 focuses on ‘The Business of Community’. The publication features a beautifully designed poster with a message supporting the importance of community:
“Let’s banish ‘self’ from self-publishing. No one should do this all by oneself. Get a little help from your friends. (Everyone needs an editor).”
- Eileen Gittins, CEO of Blurb, Inc.
The Mohawk Craft Cooperative, issue No. 04 is printed on Mohawk Via Linen Bright White 65c.Printed using four color process by Sandy Alexander, Clifton, NJ.
The Mohawk Maker Quarterly and Mohawk Craft Cooperative publications are enhanced with additional content made possible through Mohawk’s new augmented reality mobile app,Mohawk Live, which generates interactive experiences via print, making print more relevant than ever.
By scanning photos containing the Mohawk Live icon found throughout each publication, readers can enjoy a multidimensional experience with bonus content including videos and animation. Mohawk Live is free and easy to download in the App Store or Google Play.
To view the publications online or to sign up to receive Mohawk’s new Culture of Craft publications, visit www.mohawkconnects.com/cultureofcraft.