Appleton Coated honors U360 Design Competition winners for 2013
Tuesday, June 18, 2013
Combined Locks, Wis. -- Appleton Coated announces the winning entries for the U360 Design Competition. An online gallery of winners can be found at appletoncoated.com by clicking on the U360 section. “Spark,” the 2013 Showbook will be available on request and distributed throughout North America.
Members of the Appleton Coated Design Council judge the U360 Design Competition. Entries were evaluated on overall communication, creative expression and execution, including environmental impact. Submissions must be printed all, or in part, on Utopia and/or Curious Collection, accompanied by a completed entry form, and produced in 2012.
“The creative minds behind the U360 winning entries are those who dared to up the ante, to feud with the familiar and to outwit the ordinary. They boldly stand apart from the rest. They deserve to be celebrated as extraordinary examples of all that vision, design and paper make possible, sparking inspiration and aspiration through printed communication,” says Ferkó X. Goldinger, Appleton Coated’s marketing manager.
Special honors are awarded for:
* Best of Show – “Nick Cave Magalogue” for Nick Cave; designed by Faust, Chicago; printed by Lake County Press, Waukegan, Ill.; paper grade is Conqueror CX22 Brilliant White 70-pound text
“We needed a lightweight sheet that felt unpretentious, but could perform like a star. It needed good opacity as well as compliment the oversized and unbound poster format and ziplock bag packaging. When coupled with UV printing, this uncoated sheet gave us a perfectly uncommercial result,” explains Bob Faust, principal of Faust.
* Design and Print Excellence Awards – “Myth, Modernity, and the Nature of Things by Salvatore LaRosa” for B Five Studio LLP; designed Tsang Seymour Design, Inc., New York; printed by The Avery Group, Shapco Printing, Inc., Minneapolis; paper grade is Utopia Premium Silk 115-pound text
“Our firm specializes in high-fidelity color reproduction and our projects have a very long shelf life. The Utopia Premium has been our first choice sheet for this reason for many years. It outperforms in look and feel, print and image, and it doesn't yellow or age, as most coated sheets do. It is an ideal surface for art and photography reproduction,” says Patrick Seymour, principal of Tsang Seymour.
* Print Excellence Award – “2013 Cadillac Series” for Cadillac; designed by Fallon, Minneapolis; printed by Lithographix, Inc., Los Angeles; paper grades are Utopia U1X Gloss 100-pound cover and text
“Utopia has long been a favorite for us. We felt that with a new look and feel, we needed a new paper stock as well. With U1X we have experienced excellent results. In addition, the staff at Appleton Coated has provided us with outstanding service,” praises Kirsten O'Callaghan, senior producer at Fallon.
* Communication Excellence Awards
- “Fort Worth Opera Festival Campaign” for Fort Worth Opera; designed by The Matchbox Studio, Inc., Dallas; printed by Thinc Marketing Solutions, Dallas; paper grades are Utopia Two Dull 100-pound cover and 80-pound text
“We knew the photos would print well on this paper” and it “fits well with the client’s budget,” notes Thinc Marketing Solutions’ team.
- “Networked & Social Systems Engineering Admission Brochure” for Penn Engineering, University of Pennsylvvania; designed by karma agency, Philadelphia; printed by Epic Litho, Phoenixville, Pa.; paper grades are Curious Translucents Clear 75-pound cover and 36-pound text
“This paper was perfect because it reinforced our concept of challenging the reader’s intellectual curiosity to decode the world beyond its surface. Translucent paper enabled us to embed codes in the piece and create something truly immersive and premium,” states the staff at karma agency.
The additional 2013 winning entries are:
* “Timberland Boot Company Men’s/Women’s Look Books;” designed by Timberland, Stratham, N.H.; printed by UniGraphic, Woburn, Mass.; paper grade is Utopia U2:XG Dull 100-pound text
* “Farm Credit Services of Mid-America 2011 Annual Report;” designed by Colle + McVoy, Minneapolis; printed by GLS Companines, Saint Paul, Minn.; paper grades are Utopia Two Dull 100-pound cover and text plus Utopia Matte 60-pound text
* “Merck Corporate Brochure;” designed by Weymouth Design, Boston; printed by Hatteras, Tinton Falls, N.J.; paper grades are Utopia U1X Silk 120-pound cover and 100-pound text
* “Heavy Metal Crusin’ Poster;” designed by and for Blue Torpedo, Minneapolis; printed by Big Table Studio, Saint Paul, Minn.; paper grade is Curious Cosmic Alien Green 133-pound cover
* “Williams College ’62 Center 2012/2013 Season Brochure;” designed by Transit Authority Figures, Inc., Northampton, Mass.; printed by Kirkwood Printing, Wilmington, Mass.; paper grades are Utopia Two Dull 100-pound cover and 80-pound text
* “The Color Run Brochure” for Randal Ford Photography; designed by BrandCory, Dallas; printed by Blanks, Dallas; paper grade is Utopia One Dull 100-pound cover
* “Temple University – Temple Made Undergraduate Viewbook;” designed by Neiman, Philadelphia; printed by Brilliant Graphics, Exton, Pa.; paper grades are Utopia Two matte 100-pound cover and text
* “Myths & Realities;” designed by and for School of Visual Arts, New York; printed by Brilliant Graphics, Exton, Pa.; paper grades are Utopa Two matte 100-pound cover and text
* “Love2 Book with Poster;” designed by and for Mario Avila Design, Boston; printed by Daniels Print Communications, Boston; paper grades are Utopia two Gloss 100-pound text and Skin Curious Collection Extra White 91-pound text
Entries receiving regional recognition include:
* East – “SVA Graduate Catalog;” designed by Visual Arts Press, School of Visual Arts, New York; printed by GHP, West Haven, Conn.; paper grade Utopia two Dull 80-pound text
* West – “TCU Football: Big 12 Brochure;” designed by Concussion, Fort Worth, Texas; printed by Cockrell Enovation, Fort Worth, Texas; paper grades are Utopia Premium Silk 130-pound cover and Utopia One Dull 100-pound text
The 2012-2013 Appleton Coated Design Council members include:
* John Connolly, principal and creative director at Ideas On Purpose in New York
* Michael Eads, principal and director of production at Sametz Blackstone Associates in Boston
* Bob Faust, owner and principal at Faust in Riverside, Ill.;
* Tim Hale, senior vice president of design management and marketing at Fossil, Inc. in Richardson, Texas
* Vicky Jones, president of Brand Fever in Atlanta
* Fritz Klaetke, principal and design director of Visual Dialogue in Boston
* Dana Lytle, founder, principal and design director at Planet Propaganda, Madison, Wis.
* Bryan Peterson, owner and principal at Peterson Ray & Company in Dallas