Vistaprint Q2 Profit Down, Cuts 2013 Revenue Expectations
Friday, February 01, 2013
Press release from the issuing company
VENLO, Netherlands -- Vistaprint N.V., a leading online provider of professional marketing products and services to micro businesses and the home, today announced financial results for the three month period ended December 31, 2012, the second quarter of its 2013 fiscal year.
“Our second quarter results were solid,” said Robert Keane, president and chief executive officer. “We delivered good results for our consumer and holiday business around the world. We continued to execute well in North America. Though our European growth rate improved versus our disappointing first quarter results, we believe this was primarily due to the seasonal strength of our holiday-related business in Europe, and we continue to expect our European marketing execution turn-around to take time and significant effort. Turning to profit, our gross margins continued to expand, despite incurring incremental costs associated with product quality improvements and new product launches. We believe a significant portion of this success is due to our strategic commitment to invest in world-class manufacturing capabilities. Our quarterly earnings per share were above our expectations, due in part to our strong gross margins and one-time favorability in our tax rate.”
Financial Metrics (including Albumprinter and Webs results unless otherwise stated):
- Revenue for the second quarter of fiscal year 2013 grew to $348.3 million, a 16 percent increase over revenue of $299.9 million reported in the same quarter a year ago. Excluding Albumprinter and Webs combined revenue of $25.6 million, total second quarter revenue was $322.7 million. Excluding the estimated impact from currency exchange rate fluctuations and revenue from acquired businesses, total revenue grew 14 percent year over year in the second quarter.
- Gross margin (revenue minus the cost of revenue as a percent of total revenue) in the second quarter was 67.2 percent, compared to 66.8 percent in the same quarter a year ago.
- Operating income in the second quarter was $33.0 million, or 9.5 percent of revenue, and reflected a slight increase compared to operating income of $32.5 million, or 10.9 percent of revenue, in the same quarter a year ago.
- GAAP net income for the second quarter was $23.0 million, or 6.6 percent of revenue, representing a 28 percent decrease compared to $31.7 million, or 10.6 percent of revenue in the same quarter a year ago. Despite improved operating income year over year, our GAAP net income declined due to several year-over-year differences in below-the-line items, including interest expense, other income, our tax provision, and the effect of our new indirect minority equity interest in China.
- GAAP net income per diluted share for the second quarter was $0.66, versus $0.82 in the same quarter a year ago.
- Non-GAAP adjusted net income for the second quarter, which excludes amortization expense for acquisition-related intangible assets, tax charges related to the alignment of acquisition-related intellectual property with global operations, and share-based compensation expense and its related tax effect, was $35.9 million, or 10.3 percent of revenue, representing a 5 percent decrease compared to non-GAAP adjusted net income of $37.9 million, or 12.6 percent of revenue, in the same quarter a year ago.
- Non-GAAP adjusted net income per diluted share for the second quarter, as defined above, was $1.02, versus $0.97 in the same quarter a year ago.
- Capital expenditures in the second quarter were $27.6 million, or 7.9 percent of revenue.
- During the second quarter, the company generated $88.5 million of cash from operations and $58.7 million in free cash flow, defined as cash from operations less purchases of property, plant and equipment, purchases of intangible assets not related to acquisitions, and capitalization of software and website development costs.
- As of December 31, 2012, the company had $64.7 million in cash and cash equivalents and $230.5 million in long-term debt, with $157.0 million remaining under its credit facility.
- During the second quarter, the company purchased 827,346 of its ordinary shares for $24.8 million, inclusive of transaction costs, at an average per-share cost of $29.94, as part of the share repurchase program authorized by the Supervisory Board in February 2012.
Operating metrics are now provided as a table-based supplement to this press release.
Fiscal 2013 Outlook as of January 31, 2013:
Ernst Teunissen, executive vice president and chief financial officer, said, “Looking ahead to the second half of the fiscal year, we expect to continue to benefit from solid execution in North America and strong manufacturing results around the world. We continue to believe that our European marketing execution turn-around will take time, and our revenue weakness there will persist through at least the remainder of fiscal 2013. Given our continuing challenges in Europe, we expect that the shift from a strong seasonal consumer focus in our second fiscal quarter to small-business-oriented campaigns for the second half of the fiscal year will be more difficult than it has been in past years. Despite continued revenue weakness, we remain confident in our earnings per share outlook for the remainder of the year. Our guidance today reflects these factors. We are lowering and narrowing our revenue guidance range for the fiscal year, but narrowing our earnings per share guidance range to the upper part of the prior guidance range due to our strong earnings performance through the first half of the year.”
Financial Guidance as of January 31, 2013:
As previously stated, beginning with fiscal year 2013, the company is providing revenue guidance on an annual and quarterly basis, and earnings guidance on an annual basis. Based on current and anticipated levels of demand, the company expects the following financial results:
Fiscal Year and Third Quarter 2013 Revenue
- For the full fiscal year ending June 30, 2013, the company expects revenue of approximately $1,145 million to $1,175 million, or 12 percent to 15 percent growth year over year in reported terms. Excluding currency movements and acquired revenue, we expect constant-currency organic growth of approximately 10 percent to 13 percent. Reported (USD) growth expectations assume a recent 30-day currency exchange rate for all currencies. Constant-currency growth is estimated by applying the respective prior year quarterly average exchange rates to all estimated non-U.S. dollar denominated revenue expected for future periods.
- For the third quarter of fiscal year 2013, ending March 31, 2013, the company expects revenue of approximately $275 million to $290 million, or 7 percent to 13 percent growth year over year in reported terms. We expect constant-currency organic growth of approximately 5 percent to 11 percent.
Fiscal Year 2013 GAAP Net Income Per Diluted Share
- For the full fiscal year ending June 30, 2013, the company expects GAAP net income per diluted share of approximately$0.50 to $0.70, which assumes 34.6 million weighted average diluted shares outstanding.
Fiscal Year 2013 Non-GAAP Adjusted Net Income Per Diluted Share
- For the full fiscal year ending June 30, 2013, the company expects non-GAAP adjusted net income per diluted share of approximately $1.79 to $1.99, which excludes expected acquisition-related amortization of intangible assets of approximately$8.4 million or approximately $0.24 per diluted share, share-based compensation expense and its related tax effect of approximately $34.6 million or approximately $0.98 per diluted share, and tax charges related to the alignment of acquisition-related intellectual property with global operations of approximately $2.4 million, or $0.07 per diluted share. This guidance assumes a non-GAAP weighted average diluted share count of approximately 35.2 million shares.
Fiscal Year 2013 Capital Expenditures
For the full fiscal year ending June 30, 2013, the company expects to make capital expenditures of approximately $85 million to $95 million. Planned capital investments are designed to support the planned growth of the business and are expected to include the expansion of our European production capacity in our Dutch (Venlo) facility and other investments.
The foregoing guidance supersedes any guidance previously issued by the company. All such previous guidance should no longer be relied upon.
At approximately 4:20 p.m. (EST) on January 31, 2013, Vistaprint will post, on the Investor Relations section of www.vistaprint.com, an end-of-quarter presentation along with a downloadable transcript of the prepared remarks that accompany that presentation. At5:15 p.m. the company will host a live Q&A conference call with management, which will be available via web cast on the Investor Relations section of www.vistaprint.com and via dial-in at (800) 599-9816, access code 94030400. A replay of the Q&A session will be available on the company’s Web site following the call on January 31, 2013.
To post a comment Log In or Become a Member, doing so is simple and free