Quark Releases Preview of iPad App for Grid-based Design
Thursday, August 23, 2012
Press release from the issuing company
Quark announced today the preview release of Quark DesignPad, a new app for aspiring designers that helps them explore the fundamentals of grid-based design and create professional-looking artwork from a mobile device. Using simple multi-touch gestures, Quark DesignPad allows design neophytes to experiment with different layouts. Users start with pre-defined grid-based designs for standard document types such as ads, posters, newsletters, and brochures and can then interactively customize the layouts. Quark DesignPad enables design students and long-time professionals alike to start a design on-the-go, share it on Twitter, by email, or further develop it in QuarkXPress® 9.
The Quark DesignPad Preview app is free to download from the App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quark-designpad/id551786067?ls=1&mt=8. Users are encouraged to share their feedback on http://forums.quark.com.
Gavin Drake, Vice President of Marketing at Quark, said, “At Quark we are always looking at innovative ways to make graphic design accessible to the whole spectrum of creative professionals – be it a long-time print designer looking to break through in the digital arena without having to learn to code, or a student approaching desktop publishing for the first time. Now with Quark DesignPad everyone can get real hands-on experience creating grid-based designs to create a variety of document types, making it a valuable teaching aid for the education sector. At the same time, Quark DesignPad is a useful tool for experienced creative professionals to start a design on the go and finalize it on their computer using QuarkXPress 9.
“We are looking forward to hearing from the design community on this new approach to grid-based design and we invite designers, students and teachers to send us their feedback to make Quark DesignPad the essential iPad app for creative professionals.”
Quark DesignPad Preview’s features include:
- Pre-defined grid-based layout types such as ads, posters, newsletters, and brochures
- Slider controls to adjust the layout including columns, rows, text, and picture areas
- ‘Randomize layouts’ option
- Text control including fonts, color, and inset position
- Color and opacity control on boxes and frames
- Copy and paste functionality for inputting text directly into the layout
- Choice between pictures on the iPad or an online selection of free stock photos
- Supports both US and international document sizes with selectable units of measure
- Guides switch (on/of)
- Customizable number of columns and rows, text and picture areas, caption positions and more
- Option to save custom layouts for future reuse
- Swipe-and-pinch functionality to position, crop, and resize pictures
- Option to add background images as well as floating text and image boxes
- Email and Tweet functionality to send designs to colleagues and friends directly from the iPad
- Ability to create a QuarkXPress 9 version of the layout for even greater control to complete the design
For more information on Quark DesignPad please visit www.quark.com/en/products/designpad
DesignPad can be downloaded for free from http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/quark-designpad/id551786067?ls=1&mt=8.
To download DesignPad’s User Guide, please visit http://www.quark.com/pdfs/QuarkDesignPad_Guide_US_Web.pdf.
To provide feedback, ask questions and converse with other users, users can visit forums.quark.com and enter the new DesignPad forum.
To post a comment Log In or Become a Member, doing so is simple and free