The winning entries to Appleton Coated’s U360 Competition for 2012 have been announced. An online gallery of winners can be found at UtopiaPaper.com by clicking on the U360 section. This autumn, the 2012 Showbook will be available on request and distributed throughout North America.
“U360 celebrates design, content and printing excellence, and all that paper makes possible. The winning selections recognize the all-around, effective, creative role that print communication plays in the marketing mix,” says Ferkó X. Goldinger, advertising and promotion manager.
The U360 Competition was judged by members of the Appleton Coated Design Council. Entries were evaluated on overall communication, creative expression and execution, including environmental impact. Submissions must be printed all, or in part, on Utopia and/or Curious Collection, accompanied by a completed entry form, and produced in 2011.
Special honors are awarded for:
• Best of Show – “Worthy” for MacDonald Photography; designed by Rule29, Geneva, Ill.; printed by O’Neil Printing, Phoenix
• Print Excellence Award – “Adcetera Graphic Executions Halloween Book 2011;” designed for and by Adcetera, Houston; printed by Disc Pro Graphics, Houston
• Design Excellence Award – “Barbara Barry” for Henredon; designed by Pilot New York, New York; printed by GLS Companies, Inc., Brooklyn Park, Minn.
• Communication Excellence Award – “Medica Individual & Family Business Campaign;” designed by catchfire, Minneapolis; printed by First Impression Group, Eagan, Minn.
The additional 2012 winning entries are:
• “Timberland Fall 2011 & Spring 2012 Look Books;” designed by Global Creative Services, Timberland, Stratham, N.H.; printed by UniGraphic, Woburn, Mass.
• “Haworth Corporate Overview;” designed by Reagan Marketing + Design, Grand Rapids, Mich.; printed by Multi Packaging Solutions, Holland, Mich.
• “Bergdorf Goodman Louboutin Invite;” designed by and for Bergdorf Goodman, New York; printed by A. Marcus Group, New York
• “Frontiers in Opthalmology” for Harvard Medical School Department of Opthalmology; designed by Visual Dialogue, Boston; printed by Capital Offset Company, Inc., Concord, N.H.
• “Deerfield Academy Campaign;” designed by Global Creative Services, Timberland, Stratham, N.H.; printed by UniGraphic, Woburn, Mass. • “NYU Langone Medical Center 2011 Research Report;” designed by Weymouth Design, Boston; printed by Universal Wilde, Westwood, Mass.
Entries receiving regional recognition include:
• East – “SCAD Fashion 2011;” designed by SCAD Creative Services, Savannah, Ga.; printed by The Kennickell Group, Savannah, Ga.
• Central – “Powder Room Winter 2012-2013 Catalogues” for Ripzone/Powder Room; designed by RMP Athletic Locker Ltd., Mississauga, Ontario; printed by C.J. Graphics, Inc., Toronto
• West – “Red Redeemer – Making Health Happen;” designed by and for ODS, Portland, Ore.; printed by Image Pressworks, Portland, Ore.
The 2011/2012 Appleton Coated Design Council members include:
• Bill Thorburn, founding principal at The Thorburn Group in Minneapolis;
• Bob Faust, owner and principal at Faust in Riverside, Ill.;
• Bryan Peterson, owner and principal at Peterson Ray & Company in Dallas;
• John Connolly, principal and creative director at Ideas On Purpose in New York;
• Kathleen Turaski, co-founder and principal at Resonance Marketing in Decatur, Ga.;
• Michael Eads, principal and director of production at Sametz Blackstone Associates in Boston;
• Ray Talamo, director of design at Roger Williams University’s Department of Marketing Communications in Bristol, R.I.; and
• Tim Hale, senior vice president of design management and marketing at Fossil, Inc. in Richardson, Texas.
For more information about Appleton Coated’s U360 Competition and Showbook, and its Utopia and Curious Collection, visit UtopiaPaper.com and CuriousPapers.com..