Domtar Reports Solid Q2 Financial Results
Friday, July 29, 2011
Press release from the issuing company
MONTREAL, Solid performance despite seasonally high level of scheduled maintenance in the mills (All financial information is in U.S. dollars, and all earnings per share results are diluted, unless otherwise noted.)
- Second quarter net earnings of $1.30 per share, earnings before items1 of $2.37 per share
- Free cash flow1 including changes in working capital of $286 million in the second quarter
- Company recently added to the Standard and Poor's MidCap 400 Index
Domtar Corporation today reported net earnings of $54million ($1.30 per share) for the second quarter of 2011 compared to net earnings of $133million ($3.14 per share) for the first quarter of 2011 and net earnings of $31million ($0.71per share) for the second quarter of 2010. Sales for the second quarter of 2011 amounted to $1.4billion.
Excluding items listed below, the Company had earnings before items1 of $98 million ($2.37 per share) for the second quarter of 2011 compared to earnings before items1 of $138 million ($3.25 per share) for the first quarter of 2011 and earnings before items1 of $116million ($2.67 per share) for the second quarter of 2010.
Second quarter 2011 items:
- Charge of $62 million ($38 million after tax) related to the impairment and write-down of property, plant and equipment;
- Gains and losses on the sale of property, plant and equipment and business resulting in a change of $6 million ($5 million after tax); and
- Closure and restructuring costs of $2 million ($1 million after tax).
First quarter 2011 items:
- Closure and restructuring costs of $11 million ($8 million after tax);
- Gains and losses on the sale of property, plant and equipment and business resulting in a revenue of $7 million ($5 million after tax); and
- Charge of $3 million ($2 million after tax) related to the impairment and write-down of property, plant and equipment.
Second quarter 2010 items:
- Loss on sale of the Wood business of $50 million ($50 million after tax);
- Costs for debt repurchase, including premium paid, of $40 million ($24 million after tax);
- Charge of $14 million ($9 million after tax) related to the impairment and write-down of property, plant and equipment;
- Closure and restructuring costs of $5 million ($4 million after tax); and
- Gains and losses on sale of property, plant and equipment resulting in a revenue of $2 million ($2 million after tax).
"We had a good sales performance from a price and volumes standpoint. However these benefits were more than offset by a seasonally high level of scheduled maintenance in our mills," said John D. Williams, President and Chief Executive Officer. On paper demand trends, Mr. Williams added, "Domtar paper shipments continue to trend better than forecast with healthy export volumes and good demand in our packaging paper grades. We continue to be successful in servicing our customers while keeping paper inventories tight."
Operating income before items was $165million in the second quarter of 2011 compared to an operating income before items1 of $218million in the first quarter of 2011. Depreciation and amortization totaled $95 million in the second quarter of 2011. When compared to the first quarter of 2011, paper shipments decreased 1% while pulp shipments decreased 4%. The shipments-to-production ratio for paper was 101% in the second quarter of 2011, compared to 102% in the first quarter of 2011. Paper inventories declined by 11,000 tons while pulp inventories decreased by 8,000 metric tons as at the end of June, compared to March levels. Operating loss before items1 of ArivaTM, our Paper Merchants segment, remains under pressure and declined by $2 million when compared to the first quarter of 2011. This is mostly due to lower deliveries resulting from difficult market conditions in the paper merchants channel and to the sale of a business unit at the end of the first quarter of 2011.
The decrease in operating income before items in the second quarter of 2011 was the result of higher maintenance costs, lower pulp and paper shipments, higher freight costs and higher unit costs for wood fiber and chemicals as well as the negative impact of a stronger Canadian dollar. These factors were partially offset by higher average selling prices in pulp and paper.
LIQUIDITY AND CAPITAL
Cash flow provided from operating activities amounted to $306 million including a source of cash resulting from a reduction in working capital of $77 million. Capital expenditures amounted to $20 million resulting in free cash flow3 of $286 million in the second quarter of 2011.
Domtar returned a total of $175 million to its shareholders through a combination of dividend and stock buyback in the second quarter of 2011. Under its stock repurchase program, Domtar repurchased 1,682,047 shares of common stock during the second quarter and a total of 3,210,051 shares of common stock at an average price of $86.88 per share since the implementation of the program.
On June 23, 2011, the Company entered into a new unsecured $600 million credit agreement maturing in June 2015 to replace the existing secured revolving credit facility of $750 million that was scheduled to mature in March of 2012.
Looking into the second half of 2011, the benefits from announced price increases for business papers and lower costs stemming from maintenance in the mills are expected to favorably impact financial results. While selling prices for pulp are likely to decline on average compared to the first half of the year, uncoated freesheet paper shipments for 2011 are expected to remain steady when compared to 2010. Inflation pressures due to recent rises in commodity prices are expected to continue throughout the second half of the year.
EARNINGS CONFERENCE CALL
The Company will hold a conference call today at 10:00 a.m. (ET) to discuss its second quarter 2011 financial results. Financial analysts are invited to participate in the call by dialing at least 10 minutes before start time 1 (866) 321-8231 (toll free - North America) or 1 (416) 642-5213 (International), while media and other interested individuals are invited to listen to the live webcast on the Domtar Corporation website at www.domtar.com.
The Company will release its third quarter 2011 earnings on October 27, 2011 before markets open, followed by a conference call at 10:00 a.m. (ET) to discuss results. The date is tentative and will be confirmed approximately three weeks prior to the official earnings release date.
To post a comment Log In or Become a Member, doing so is simple and free