Vistaprint reports 18% revenue growth year over year in Q1
Friday, October 29, 2010
Press release from the issuing company
Venlo, Netherlands - Vistaprint N.V., the company that provides high-impact personalized products and services for small businesses and the home, today announced financial results for the three month period ended September 30, 2010, the first quarter of its 2011 fiscal year.
"Vistaprint delivered solid results in revenue and earnings per share in the first quarter of the new fiscal year relative to our guidance. Increased operational focus accompanied by currency tailwinds resulted in higher-than-anticipated quarterly revenue," said Robert Keane, president and chief executive officer. "This, along with cost controls and better-than-expected gross margins, resulted in earnings per share that exceeded the high end of the guidance we set in July. We are encouraged by these results; however, we believe we have a lot more work to do, organizational evolution to come and investments to make to ensure that Vistaprint remains a high-growth company for the foreseeable future."
- Gross margin (revenue minus the cost of revenue as a percent of total revenue) in the first quarter was 63.1 percent, compared to 63.6 percent in the same quarter a year ago.
- Operating income in the first quarter was $12.3 million, or 7.2 percent of revenue, and reflected a 14 percent decrease compared to $14.4 million, or 9.9 percent of revenue in the same quarter a year ago.
- GAAP net income for the first quarter was $10.8 million, or 6.3 percent of revenue, representing a 17 percent decrease compared to $13.0 million, or 8.9 percent of revenue in the same quarter a year ago.
- GAAP net income per diluted share for the first quarter was $0.24, versus $0.29 in the same quarter a year ago.
- Non-GAAP adjusted net income for the first quarter, which excludes share-based compensation expense and its related tax effect, was $16.3 million, or 9.6 percent of revenue, representing a 12 percent decrease compared to $18.5 million, or 12.7 percent of revenue in the same quarter a year ago.
- Non-GAAP adjusted net income per diluted share for the first quarter, which excludes share-based compensation expense and its related tax effect, was $0.36, versus $0.41 in the same quarter a year ago.
- Capital expenditures in the first quarter were $14.1 million, or 8.3 percent of revenue.
- During the first quarter, the company generated $18.8 million in cash from operations and $2.9 million in free cash flow, defined as cash from operations less purchases of property, plant and equipment, and capitalization of software and website development costs.
- The company had $176.6 million in cash, cash equivalents, and short-term marketable securities as of September 30, 2010.
- Vistaprint acquired approximately 1.6 million new customers in the first fiscal quarter ended September 30, 2010.
- Repeat customers generated approximately 68 percent of total quarterly bookings in the first quarter, compared with 67 percent in the same quarter a year ago.
- Average daily order volume in the first quarter of fiscal 2011 was approximately 54,000, reflecting an increase of approximately 20 percent over an average of approximately 45,000 orders per day in the same quarter a year ago.
- Advertising and commissions expense was $36.1 million, or 21.2 percent of revenue in the first quarter, compared to $29.1 million, or 20.0 percent of revenue in the same quarter a year ago.
- The U.S. market contributed 57 percent of total revenue in the first quarter, down from 59 percent in the same quarter a year ago, representing a 14 percent increase in revenue year over year. Non-U.S. markets contributed 43 percent of total revenue in the first quarter, up from 41 percent in the same quarter a year ago, representing a 23 percent increase in revenue year over year and 30 percent in constant currency.
- North American, European and Asia-Pacific revenue contributions in the first quarter of the 2011 fiscal year were 59, 36, and 5 percent of total revenue, respectively.
- Average order value in the first quarter, including revenue from shipping and processing, was $34.69, slightly up from $34.23 in the same quarter a year ago.
- Web site sessions in the first quarter were 68.9 million, a 6 percent increase over 65.1 million in the same quarter a year ago.
- Conversion rates were 7.3 percent in the first quarter of fiscal 2011, compared to 6.4 percent in the same quarter a year ago.
During the quarter, Vistaprint broadened its product offering with engraved pens, extra large banners, personalized email domain names, web site blogs, and a search engine optimization tool for web site customers.
"While we are off to a positive start to fiscal 2011 with our first quarter results, we remain at the very early stages of the holiday-related seasonal peak that is critical to our full fiscal year results," said Mike Giannetto, chief financial officer. "We have updated our revenue guidance for fiscal 2011 to reflect our second quarter outlook at recent currency exchange rates. However, we do not believe it is prudent at this time to assume those recent exchange rates will persist through the back half of the year, because we are operating within a volatile currency environment."
Financial Guidance as of October 28, 2010:
- For the second quarter of fiscal year 2011, ending December 31, 2010, the company expects revenue of approximately $210 million to $230 million.
GAAP Diluted Earnings Per Share
- For the second quarter of fiscal year 2011, ending December 31, 2010, the company expects GAAP diluted earnings per share of approximately $0.58 to $0.69, which assumes 45.6 million weighted average shares outstanding.
Non-GAAP Adjusted Net Income Per Diluted Share
- For the second quarter of fiscal year 2011, ending December 31, 2010, the company expects non-GAAP adjusted net income per diluted share of approximately $0.69 to $0.80, which excludes expected share-based compensation expense and its related tax effect of approximately $5.4 million, and assumes a non-GAAP diluted weighted average share count of approximately 46.1 million shares.
The foregoing guidance supersedes any guidance previously issued by the company. All such previous guidance should no longer be relied upon.
At approximately 4:20 p.m. (EDT) on October 28, 2010, Vistaprint will post, on the Investor Relations section of www.vistaprint.com, a link to a pre-recorded audio visual end-of-quarter presentation along with a downloadable transcript of the prepared remarks that accompany that presentation. At 5:15 p.m. (EDT) the company will host a live Q&A conference call with management, which will be available via web cast on the Investor Relations section of www.vistaprint.com and via dial-in at (800) 561-2731, access code 20999420. A replay of the Q&A session will be available on the company's Web site following the call on October 28, 2010.
Copyright © 2017 WhatTheyThink. All Rights Reserved