Appleton Coated names winners in U360 Competition
Monday, June 07, 2010
Kimberly, Wis. - Appleton Coated announces the winning entries to the U360 Competition for 2010, which are printed all, or in part, on Utopia and/or Curious Collection papers. An online gallery of winners can be found at www.utopiapaper.com, in the U360 section.
"These selections recognize the effective, creative role that print communication plays in marketing mix," says Phil Cavalier, vice president of marketing at Appleton Coated. "As the name suggests, '360' reflects an 'all around' assessment -- from concept and writing, imagery and design, and finally, quality of print and bindery execution."
Special honors are awarded for:
- Best of Show -- "37 or So Ingredients" for Dwight Eschliman; designed by Tar Studio, San Francisco; printed by Paragraphics, San Rafael, Calif.
- Design Excellence Award & Print Excellence Award -- "JWT TicToc - A Collection of JWT Work;" designed by JWT, New York and The Map Office, New York; printed by Diversified Graphics, a Bolger Company, Minneapolis
- Communication Excellence Award -- "Iconologic Self Promotion;" designed by Iconologic, Atlanta; printed by Elanders USA, Acworth, Ga.
The 2010 winning entries are:
- "The Parsons Fashion Design Look Book;" designed by Parsons The New School For Design, New York; printed by Van Lanen Inc., Green Bay, Wis.
- "Madewell Fall 2009 Look Book;" designed by Madewell, New York; printed by Datagraphic, Hempstead, N.Y.
- "Nick Cave: Meet Me at the Center of the Earth;" designed by Faust Associates, Riverside, Ill.; printed by Graphic Arts Studio Inc., Lake Barrington, Ill.
- "Museum of Arts and Design Collections Handbook;" designed by Pentagram Design Inc., New York; printed by Finlay Printing, Bloomfield, Conn.
- "Jordan Yellow Look Book;" designed by Jordan Brand, a division of Nike, Inc., Beaverton, Ore.; printed by Premier Press, Portland, Ore.
- "Concord Music-Creedence Clearwater Revival: The Singles Collection" for Rare Cool Stuff; designed by Geoff Gans, Los Angeles; printed by Primary Color, El Segundo, Calif.
- "Timberland Boot Company Brochure;" designed by Timberland, Stratham, N.H.; printed by UniGraphic, Woburn, Mass.
- "Barbara Barry Catalog;" designed by Pilot, Palisades, N.Y.; printed by GLS, St. Paul, Minn.
- "Reach" for Kevin White; designed by The Steinhauser Group, Minneapolis; printed by The John Roberts Company, Coon Rapids, Minn.
- "Minotaur Limited Edition" for the Pixies; designed by V23; printed by DV8, Los Angeles
Entries receiving regional recognition include:
- Midwest -- "Jaume Plensa Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park;" designed by Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park, Grand Rapids, Mich.; printed by Foremost Graphics, Grand Rapids Mich.
- West -- "Diamond Foods Inc. 2009 Annual Report;" designed by Curran & Connors, San Bruno, Calif.; printed by Color Graphics, San Francisco
- South Central -- "Miami University Middletown 2008/2009 Annual Review;" designed by Miami University Middletown, Middletown, Ohio; printed by Mound Printing, Miamisburg, Ohio
- Northeast -- "Timberland Men's/Women's Company Brochure;" designed by Timberland, Stratham, N.H.; printed by UniGraphic, Woburn, Mass.
The U360 Competition was judged in January 2010 by members of the Appleton Coated Design Council:
- Justin Ahrens, principal of Rule29 in Geneva, Ill.;
- Lynda Decker, owner and principal of Decker Design Inc. in New York;
- David Kohler, owner and executive creative director of OTTO in New York;
- Bill Thorburn, founding principal of The Thorburn Group in Minneapolis;
- Kathleen Turaski, co-founder and principal of Resonance Marketing in Decatur, Ga.; and
- Bryan Peterson, owner and principal of Peterson Ray & Company in Dallas.
Lori Carrabba, print production professional in Peapack, N.J., (former executive vice president of Ogilvy HealthWorld in New York) joined the judging process to focus on the award for best in print execution.