Canon & HP to deploy 12,000 printers at FedEx Office
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Press release from the issuing company
See today's top feature containing exclusive analysis of this deal written by Cary Sherburne, Senior Editor of WhatTheyThink.
FedEx Office, an operating company of FedEx Corp. , has formed an alliance with Canon U.S.A., Inc., a subsidiary of Canon Inc. and HP to create an unmatched network of printing and imaging capabilities, giving customers access to leading-edge technologies and a state-of-the-art machine fleet. These new solutions enable FedEx Office to offer individuals and business customers a better, faster, more flexible and environmentally smarter way of creating, customizing, printing and distributing their materials – transforming the retail printing experience.
Beginning next month, FedEx Office (formerly FedEx Kinko’s) will utilize Canon and HP as sole-source providers in their respective printing categories, and will deploy more than 12,000 new Canon and HP printing devices across more than 1,800 locations in the U.S. and Canada. The majority of the next-generation document imaging equipment will be installed over the next 12 months, laying the foundation for a range of new products and services that will help harness the explosion of printable content now accessible to consumers.
“Customers’ expectations of printing have changed dramatically, and we are transforming our business to stay ahead of those trends and improve on our leadership position,” said Brian Philips, President and CEO of FedEx Office. “In Canon and HP, we are choosing two companies that understand our business and whose incomparable reputations, brands and histories of innovation align with our vision to bring customer ideas to life through the world’s best print-on-demand network.”
“Canon U.S.A., is pleased to join in this alliance with FedEx Office and HP to bring our advanced document imaging solutions to retail print consumers and redefine how people access, share and manage information – digitally and on paper,” said Joe Adachi, President and Chief Executive Officer, Canon U.S.A. “This relationship builds upon the mutual technical understanding that continues to develop among our companies. Together we can provide an extraordinary customer experience to millions of FedEx Office customers.”
“The HP and Canon alliance is delivering the most robust offering of products and solutions to FedEx Office, allowing the company to transform their stores into more expansive publishing centers and making it easier for customers to print what they want, when they want and how they want,” said Lynn Pendergrass, Senior Vice President, Imaging and Printing Group – Americas, HP. “FedEx Office’s selection of HP and Canon clearly recognizes that our joint offering delivers superior reliability, performance and quality for FedEx Office employees and customers.”
The new network will provide benefits such as:
- Leading technology – The new devices that will be deployed include Canon’s imageRUNNER ADVANCE multifunction products (MFP) and imagePRESS digital press systems, representing Canon’s two largest investments in imaging device development over the past 10 years. In addition, HP is delivering market-changing innovations in the form of online and cloud printing applications, which will give FedEx Office a competitive advantage and pave the way for stronger revenue streams and next-generation technology solutions.
- Consistency – The devices will be the same across most locations, creating a uniform customer experience with extraordinary printing quality and reliable equipment operation. Specifically, advanced software tools from Canon will enable FedEx Office employees to monitor the installed device fleet to ensure optimum working status and reduce potential down-time delays.
- Capacity – The enhancements will provide greater capacity and improved speed across the network, giving customers better turnaround times and 24-7 access.
- Efficiency – The equipment, spanning an array of functionality (color, large format, multi-function) is fast and energy-efficient, saving valuable time and resources. Designated ENERGY STAR® models offer a range of energy-conscious features to minimize environmental impacts while delivering extraordinary reliability.
- Usability – The devices in the self-serve area of FedEx Office locations will have more user-friendly interfaces, and offer a consistent user experience regardless of store location. Furnished with award-winning Canon MFPs and HP Designjet large format printers, FedEx Office customers will have access to some of the highest-quality, most environmentally-friendly and intelligent devices available.
- Flexibility – FedEx Office will begin implementing creative HP publishing solutions such as Snapfish by HP to offer a superior printing and publishing resource that will broaden its reach to consumers.
In addition, the equipment will empower customers to capitalize on the significant advancements in print technology that allow for remote printing from wherever customers are located, whenever they want to print, using USB drives or smartphones. Advanced technology also paves the way for “cloud printing,” which allows customers to store documents in a virtual space that is accessible from anywhere that a network connection can be established.
Through HP, FedEx Office customers will now be afforded the tools and solutions to help them work more effectively, efficiently and intelligently. HP’s cloud printing applications enable FedEx Office to serve a unique customer need and pave the way for future innovations and applications that will deliver an even more robust customer experience.
In providing its award-winning imageRUNNER ADVANCE MFP and imagePRESS digital press systems, Canon U.S.A. will also bring to the alliance a variety of advanced document imaging solutions, including its imageWARE Enterprise Management Console, which simplifies the management of installed devices, allowing FedEx Office to conduct remote monitoring and configuration of the equipment. Additionally, all Canon devices will be equipped with Canon’s imageWARE Remote service diagnostic software. Through imageWARE Remote, Canon will be able to automate the capture of meter and operational data for the devices. It also will diagnose device error conditions, and remotely update device firmware. Using imageWARE Remote, Canon will provide the highest levels of proactive nationwide service and support to FedEx Office and its customers through its extensive network of authorized service providers, including Canon Business Solutions.
The alliance represents an important step in the evolution of FedEx Office from a corner copy shop to the world’s largest integrated printing network where work is transformed from digital files to Canon and HP quality printed images either in-store or via online tools such as FedEx OfficeSM Print Online. To further strengthen its network, FedEx Office also has recently implemented a new pick-up and delivery service for printing orders, building on the reliability of service for which FedEx is known. In addition, the company is continuing to invest in its infrastructure that connects its centers and closed door production facilities, allowing the company to move work seamlessly around its network.
The agreement also strengthens existing relationships among the three companies. In September 2009, HP and Canon announced an alliance to jointly market and distribute a new range of multifunction office systems.