Standard Horizon To Feature Intelligent Automation at Graph Expo
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Press release from the issuing companyAndover, Massachusetts (October 14, 2008) – Under the theme "Think Intelligent Automation," Standard Finishing Systems will showcase a broad range of highly automated post press, paper handling and inserting solutions at Graph Expo, Oct. 26 – 29 in Chicago.
"Intelligent Automation" springs from Horizon's longstanding development philosophy, which combines broad technical finishing expertise with deep study and understanding of the fundamental steps required to produce professional-quality cut sheets, folded signatures, saddlestitched booklets, and perfect bound books with speed and efficiency.
For example, the new Standard Horizon BQ-270C that will premier at Graph Expo features an intuitive color touchscreen that prompts the operator for key parameters, and an integrated digital caliper that measures and transfers thickness data -- the most frequently changing book variable -- to the binder. The fully-automated 270C can begin setting-up for the next book while it completes binding the previous book, insuring minimal time-loss due to set-up for short or even single-edition binding runs.
"Our business isn't just about equipment, it's about helping printers save time and money in their post-press operations," says David Reny, Managing Director, Standard Finishing Systems, Horizon's exclusive North American distributor. "Best-in-class Horizon automation – such as on the new BQ-270C binder – lets us deliver productivity and labor-saving efficiency to sheet-fed and digital print operations of every size."
Horizon also brings intelligent control at the network level, with full JDF compliance, via the i2i Bindery Control System. Job parameters can be entered at a central control console and then called-up by any Horizon finisher on the network. Machines in the Standard booth at Graph Expo will be i2i-connected, enabling fully-automated set-up, job tracking, productivity and work-in-progress statistics, error reports, and more. The Horizon i2i system can also be interfaced with MIS systems for seamless JDF/JMF interoperability.
Horizon Binders Break New Ground
Standard will be introducing the Standard Horizon BQ-270C Single-clamp Perfect Binder, which features a large 10.4" intelligent color touch-screen control console and an ergonomically-designed digital caliper, to measure book thickness and automatically transfer this data to the binder for quick, automated set-up. The BQ-270C is designed for short run-length POD and commercial print book markets, with single-person production of up to 500 books per hour. Together with all other Horizon products, the BQ-270C will be connected to the Horizon i2i Bindery Control System.
The Standard Horizon BQ-470 four-clamp binder, featuring interchangeable EVA / PUR adhesive tanks and unparalleled automation, now has two important new accessories. Operators can use the SI-470 digital caliper to measure book thickness and automatically transfer this data to the binder for automated set-up. The other accessory is the new PM-470 Pre-melt tank, for operator convenience and longer runs between adhesive replenishment.
Most of the Standard Horizon book binding product line will be on display, ranging from short-run print-on-demand binders up to the 9-clamp CABS 4000 production perfect binding line with in-line signature gathering, CCD signature recognition system, and three-knife trimming.
Horizon Folders at the Forefront
Standard Horizon folders have gained a world-wide reputation for reliability, fold quality and performance. The line continues to grow, with important new folders and accessories slated to premier at Graph Expo:
- AF-406T – small-format (maximum sheet size 15.7 x 25.6) 6-buckle folder with pile feed and suction head has an optional 6-buckle second unit that can be added straight or cross-wise. This provides application flexibility, especially for the insert, outsert, and pharmaceutical markets.
- AFC-564/566A – automated four and six-buckle folders accept sheets up to 21.9 x 33.4, includes pile feeder with suction head, and can store up to 200 custom jobs in memory for easy recall.
- AFC-566FG – fully automated six-buckle folder accepts sheets up to 21.9 x 33.4, includes automatic roller gap settings and auto-positioning of the feed table guides and suction pre-feed head. Seventeen pre-set fold patterns are available on the touchscreen control console, and up to 200 custom jobs can be memorized for easy recall, with a 14-second automated make-ready.
- AFC-746D – automated large format folder accepts sheets up to 29 x 43.3, includes pile feeder with suction head, and has an optional palette or continuous feeder for maximum application flexibility.
- CCD-AFC / CCD-AF – CCD camera options for AFC folders enable sheet-by-sheet verification reading from the top, bottom, or both to insure 100% integrity of folded signatures inside and out. This allows any double-pulls from the press that might slip into the bindery to be caught during folding, and eliminates the possibility that sheets printed one-side-only and folded image-side-out end up as blank book pages. This level of quality check assures ISO 9001 compliance.
- Standard OMG Stacker Deliveries with Pressing Units – two new models of high-performance presser/stackers will be shown behind Horizon AFC folders for improved productivity. These deliveries stack a very wide range of paper stocks with extra-tight fold quality and allow less frequent unloading to minimize operator fatigue.
An extensive range of other Standard Horizon fast make-ready paper folders and accessories will also be shown.
Standard Hunkeler and Leading Partners Show New Gen6 Solutions
The new Standard Hunkeler Gen6 series unwinders, rewinders, cutters, double-cutters, stackers and fanfolders will take center stage at Graph Expo. The proven Gen6 series -- designed to work with high-speed digital printers at up to 720 feet/minute, with superior paper handling performance on a wide range of paper weights, and cross-web chip-outs for full-color bleeds -- will be shown with five industry-leading printer vendors. Océ (booth #2400) and Xerox (booth #1219) will demonstrate roll-to-cut/stack solutions, while InfoPrint Solutions (booth #2274), Kodak (booth #3646), and Screen (booth #3808) will be running roll-to-roll configurations.
On the Standard booth, the new Hunkeler CS6-II Rotary Cutter with Chip-Out will be shown as part of a combination solution producing full-bleed trimmed color self mailers and offset stacked book blocks. The Standard Hunkeler UW6 unwinder and high performance CS6-II cutter will be double-cutting sheets from a pre-printed roll. The sheets will then be folded into direct mailers on the in-line Standard Horizon AFC-566H automated signature folder, or offset stacked as book blocks with full set separation for near-line perfect binding on the Standard Horizon BQ-470.
Standard will occupy nearly 7,000 square feet of exhibit space at Graph Expo, with over 30 different pieces of post-press, paper handling and inserting equipment running live applications, and a range of Standard Horizon and Standard Hunkeler solutions spread across seven industry-leading partner booths. Attendees are invited to arrange a private equipment demonstration tailored to their application requirements by pre-registering for the Standard VIP Program at http://www.sdmc.com/graphexpo. A virtual tour of the Standard booth can be viewed at http://www.sdmc.com/products/graph-expo-2008-virtual-tour,s347.html.
Copyright © 2018 WhatTheyThink. All Rights Reserved