Converted Paper Product Manufacturing Establishments—2016
By WhatTheyThink Staff
Published: August 9, 2019
In our ongoing, semi-weekly look at establishment and employee counts of graphic arts businesses, two weeks ago, we turned from print-/media-buying businesses to packaging/paper converting establishments. We began with NAICS 3222 (Converted Paper Product Manufacturing) and this week we drill further down into 322211 (Corrugated and Solid Fiber Box Manufacturing). In 2016, the most recent year for which County Business Patterns has data, there were 1,200 establishments in NAICS 322211. As with most of these kinds of businesses, establishments tend to be large; 49% have 50 or more employees and more than two-thirds (71%) have 20 or more employees. Only just over one-fourth (27%) have under 20 employees.
Over the next few months, we’ll dig deeper into the sub-categories of NAICS 3222:
- 32221 Paperboard Container Manufacturing
- 322211 Corrugated and Solid Fiber Box Manufacturing
- 322212 Folding Paperboard Box Manufacturing
- 322219 Other Paperboard Container Manufacturing
- 32222 Paper Bag and Coated and Treated Paper Manufacturing
- 322220 Paper Bag and Coated and Treated Paper Manufacturing
- 32223 Stationery Product Manufacturing
- 322230 Stationery Product Manufacturing
- 32229 Other Converted Paper Product Manufacturing
- 322291 Sanitary Paper Product Manufacturing
- 322299 All Other Converted Paper Product Manufacturing
As we did with commercial print and creative businesses, we’ll look at historical establishment counts, employment figures, and other data.
These establishment counts are based on data from the Census Bureau’s County Business Patterns. These data, like other demographic data, can be used not only for business planning and forecasting, but also sales and marketing resource allocation.